Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

Lunch ideas?

Last post 02-03-2006, 7:01 AM by eaganbeautyadvisor. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-29-2006, 10:23 AM 10911

    Lunch ideas?

    I just posted about how I seem to ruin my healthy eating/diet with lunch each day.  I am just not motivated to cook/prepare food when dh isn't eating.  My dc usually eat sandwiches or what they prefer, tortillas with melted cheese etc.  But for me I need some fresh (inexpensive & easy) ideas.  TIA!!!

    --Hannah

    Mama to 5 blessings

    Abigail '96, Susanna '98, Keturah '00, Benjamin '02, and Deborah '05
  •  01-29-2006, 12:42 PM 10924 in reply to 10911

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    How about a nice salad?  You can dress it up or down depending on what you like.  To keep it from being "the same old, same old" you can add grilled chicken, steak or tuna.  You can mix in different veggies to give it color.  You could also do a baked pasta, super easy and you could make enough for the kids too!
    Angie

    Mom to little monkey Brady (4/04)
  •  01-29-2006, 2:22 PM 10930 in reply to 10924

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    Honestly, I'm just a big fan of Lean Cuisine types for lunch.  There are some pretty yummy varieties, acutally.  Most of the time, I munch on leftovers from the night before!


    JANICA
    Parker 10.19.04
  •  01-29-2006, 4:19 PM 10948 in reply to 10911

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    I make a veggie stirfry most days for lunch. I throw frozen veggies (stirfry type veggies) and firm tofu diced up into a pan, add some soy sauce, and then cook until tender. It's quick, easy, healthy, and DD and I love it!

    We sometimes eat applegate farm's turkey deli meat, cheese, and crackers for lunch too.

    We also snack on apples, oranges, and other fruits throughout the day.

     

    HTH

     

    Kristen

  •  01-30-2006, 12:56 PM 11021 in reply to 10948

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    I agree with Janica. If I'm not eating leftovers... I like microwave meals. There are so many varieties and most are good for portion control.

    I also try cooking extra rice or noodles with dinner to heat leftover with garlic, olive oil and parmesean cheese.

    Salads are the healthiest thing I ever eat or lunch. Quick, easy and I use whatever meat leftover from supper or some sort of bean like black beans or chick-peas to add protein.

    I wish I could take my own advice! I just ate french fries and chicken nuggets! LOL
    SAHM mom to 2 beautiful girls
  •  01-30-2006, 3:14 PM 11037 in reply to 11021

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    Thanks for all the ideas!  I guess I should have said that we do eat lots of leftovers for lunches, I am just getting tired of it Sleep [|-)]  Today dh came home for lunch, and we had leftover spaghetti. 

    I am not a big salad-for-a meal person, but I should do that more often!!!

    --Hannah

    Mama to 5 blessings

    Abigail '96, Susanna '98, Keturah '00, Benjamin '02, and Deborah '05
  •  01-31-2006, 8:45 AM 11105 in reply to 11037

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    We also like turkey dogs.  :)  I like to split them in half and sprinkle shredded cheese on top.  Parker and I eat 'em at least once a week! 


    JANICA
    Parker 10.19.04
  •  01-31-2006, 8:59 AM 11108 in reply to 11105

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    Turkey hot dogs sound yummy!  What brand do you usually buy?

    I used to be part of a co-op where a truck would come and we'd pick up our order from someone's house.  Back then I'd order 2 cases of organic hotdogs every two months.  Then the co-op closed Sad [:(]

    I wonder if there any healthy mainstream brands? Wink [;)]

    --Hannah

    Mama to 5 blessings

    Abigail '96, Susanna '98, Keturah '00, Benjamin '02, and Deborah '05
  •  02-01-2006, 1:35 PM 11202 in reply to 11108

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    I'm a fan of the weight watchers frozen meals.  They are a bit expensive, but my mom sends me coupons form the paper for them.
  •  02-01-2006, 8:34 PM 11239 in reply to 11108

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    I think the ones we have now are Ball Park, actually.  I know Oscar Meyer makes them too.  They are pretty yummy.  Smile [:)]

    Also wanted to share... I had the BEST frozen dinner ever the other day.  I got them at Target (Super Target) and they are Amy's brand.  They are in with the organic foods, which is not something I usually buy, but thought I'd give them a shot.  I tried the vegan enchiladas (black bean with other good veggies) and the cheese enchilada with rice and beans.  YUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!  I mean, GOOD!  The sauce is amazing...red chilie, I think.  I think they were around $3 each.  They are necessarily GREAT for you, but I figure if they are organic/vegan, they can't be all that bad!  Stick out tongue [:P]

    JANICA
    Parker 10.19.04
  •  02-02-2006, 7:21 AM 11275 in reply to 11239

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    I know Amy's is supposed to be a good brand.  How cool that your Target carries them!!!  We don't have a super Target, but I might check their refrigerated section anyway the next time I go.  Sounds YUMMY!!!

    --Hannah

    Mama to 5 blessings

    Abigail '96, Susanna '98, Keturah '00, Benjamin '02, and Deborah '05
  •  02-02-2006, 9:30 PM 11325 in reply to 11275

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    I am all about NOT cooking during the day! My kids love PB/Honey sandwiches cut into quarters. You get protein, carbs, sweet tooth all in one!

    Another totally yummy snack that's really easy: slice orange, apple and banana and mix up together. Let is sit a few minutes. The juice of the orange mixes in and makes it a really tastey fruit salad in just a few minutes. I also add cucumbers sometimes just cuz my kids will eat them.

    On a cold day, Miso with rice noodles are really fast to make. Miso just needs boiling water to disolve in and it's really healthy. Rice noodles just need a few minutes in hot water to dissolve. My son LOVES seaweed in his miso, so he runs to the table when I make it. It's still yummy w/o if you're not a seaweed fan.

     

  •  02-03-2006, 5:18 AM 11336 in reply to 11325

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    Miso soup with rice noodles sounds yummy!  I actually like seaweed, what kind do you use for this?  And how do you prepare it (soaking?  etc?)?

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    --Hannah

    Mama to 5 blessings

    Abigail '96, Susanna '98, Keturah '00, Benjamin '02, and Deborah '05
  •  02-03-2006, 7:01 AM 11337 in reply to 11202

    Re: Lunch ideas?

    I like the Weight Watcher's frozen meals the best. Another thing I do is make a huge batch of something healthy and then freeze it in small containers to heat up later. I really like to make burritos like that. I'll make 50 at a time. Chipotle burritos are good, but there are more than an entire day's calories in one, so I make my own version!
    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
View as RSS news feed in XML