Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

How to Hydrate~

Last post 4 hours, 36 minutes ago by Chmmr. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-18-2006, 6:24 PM 9756

    How to Hydrate~

    I am horrible about drinking water. I only drink about 3 glasses a day. The rest of the time I am drinking coke or milk.

    What are ways to make sure you drink more water? I can't seem to make myself drink enough.
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
  •  01-18-2006, 8:57 PM 9782 in reply to 9756

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    Hi there! This is goofy but I got the idea from Shape magazine awhile ago. You know those packs of jelly bracelets you get at Claires or Hot Topic? There are usually 20 or so in any range of colors for 3 or 4 bucks? Well, you put 8 or 10 or however many glasses of water you want to drink on your right wrist and as you drink your glasses of water, move one bracelet over to your left wrist. The goal being to move all bracelets to the left by the end of the day!

    Ann


    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  01-18-2006, 9:26 PM 9787 in reply to 9782

    • gool0005 is not online. Last active: 02-08-2006, 7:23 PM gool0005
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-20-2005
    • Goose Creek, South Carolina
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,245

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    I leave glasses of water all over the house. I leave bottles of water in the car as well. I do cheat a bit and use Sugar Free Kool-aid to mix things up a bit and I also need at least one Diet Coke a day just for the caffeine. I know its not really healthy, especially while I nurse but it tastes good to me and sometimes I need the sweetness so that I don't reach for sweet snacks that are worse for me.

    I like the bracelet idea but I think that my 2 yeard old daughter would steal them right off my wrists.

    Kelly

  •  01-18-2006, 9:49 PM 9789 in reply to 9787

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    Maybe I should fill up water bottles all over the house. Can't leave glasses everywhere unless I want to share with the cats! :lol

    I am another one that NEEDS my daily coke. I crave the caffine and the bubbles. I have tried to somewhat sucessfully to limit in to only one can with caffine, and have my second be a caffine free coke.

    I think my general fluid intake is bad, esp considering dd nurses all day and night.

    It seems like downing the h2O was a lot easier in the summer.
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
  •  01-19-2006, 8:02 AM 9814 in reply to 9789

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    OOh I love bubbles and caffiene! I try to limit myself to 2 a day. But there are day that I get coffee and still have my 2 pops. I only put 2 cans in the fridge everyday to keep me honest. I hate warm pop.

    I took this idea from a friend. I put fresh lemon in my water. I just cut a lemon in half and squirt in the juice, the water goes down so fast and I drink about 4 lemon waters a day.
    Beth
  •  01-19-2006, 8:52 AM 9817 in reply to 9814

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    I agree, it's a lot easier drinking water in the summer! One of the ways I've limited myself is by not buying any sodas etc. Right now the only option I have for a drink is water, milk and applejuice. I too keep water in my car, that also helps me not to go through a drive-thru for a super huge Sonic rootbeer or coke. Big Smile [:D]

    I do treat myself when I go out for dinner etc, usually sweet tea or a good regular non-diet coke.

  •  01-19-2006, 5:18 PM 9879 in reply to 9817

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    You know... I actually find it easier to drink no Coke than to limit myself to one. I LOVE Coke, but I just don't buy it and then i'm not tempted.

    I drink a lot of decaff. tea. I also leave water bottles in the car and in the house. I find that'll I'll drink out of a bottle quicker than I'll fill a glass. Silly, but true.
    SAHM mom to 2 beautiful girls
  •  01-27-2006, 3:50 PM 10746 in reply to 9879

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    emsstacey wrote:
    You know... I actually find it easier to drink no Coke than to limit myself to one. I LOVE Coke, but I just don't buy it and then i'm not tempted. I drink a lot of decaff. tea. I also leave water bottles in the car and in the house. I find that'll I'll drink out of a bottle quicker than I'll fill a glass. Silly, but true.


    I don't buy stuff like pop/soda either, and then we just aren't tempted.  Once I get started drinking it again it is just too easy to fill the cravings ;)

    We drink lots of water here anyway.  my dh says he hated water until he joined the military where they made him drink 2 glasses before every meal.  We serve the dc water at every meal too.  Juice is for a special treat, and then it's mixed with half water.  I also find I drink a lot at night, so each time I am up with baby (not much anymore) or to use the restroom, I try to drink a full glass.  We  put a full pitcher and clean glass on the dresser in our room each night. Wink [;)]

    It gets easier as you drink more of it.  My midwife with dd#1 told me to put 8 pennies on the windowsill.  Each time you drink a glass, put a penny in a small dish to the side.  Just another type of visual reminder.Smile [:)]

    --Hannah

    Mama to 5 blessings

    Abigail '96, Susanna '98, Keturah '00, Benjamin '02, and Deborah '05
  •  01-27-2006, 5:49 PM 10760 in reply to 9756

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    I find that water is addicting. The more you drink the more you need it.

     

    Giselle


    Giselle
    Wife to Bora, SAHM to Lora (01-22-05)
  •  01-29-2006, 12:05 AM 10897 in reply to 10760

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    So true about water: the more I drink it, the more my body needs it!

    I am HORRIBLE at drinking water, but DH is a water addict and keeps telling me I should drink more. I am trying to keep water bottles in the fridge so I can better keep track of how much I am drinking and how much more I still need to. I did that when I was pregnant and it helped.

    Poliana
    SAHM to 4 wonderful kidos
  •  01-29-2006, 9:42 AM 10908 in reply to 10897

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    Around lunchtime I always have to kickstart my day with a caffeinated diet beverage. I will probably have one other diet coke/mtn dew during the day. Oh maybe share one with DH too...

    But I actually am really good at drinking water too. I know you have water the dispenses from your fridge JoLynda, and I find that if I fill a whole pitcher of water, put it in the fridge, it is really easy to pour myself a tall glass then wait for my cup to fill up from a water dispenser. That way I think I can almost my 8 glasses of water in a day. Sometimes I do more than that.


    Angela
    Mama to Satori (11/04)
  •  01-30-2006, 8:23 PM 11070 in reply to 9756

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    I fill up a Nalgene bottle twice a day and make sure I drink it. Two bottles equals 8 cups of water. It helps me keep track of how much I drink!
  •  4 hours, 37 minutes ago 11825 in reply to 9782

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    eaganbeautyadvisor wrote:

    Hi there! This is goofy but I got the idea from Shape magazine awhile ago. You know those packs of jelly bracelets you get at Claires or Hot Topic? There are usually 20 or so in any range of colors for 3 or 4 bucks? Well, you put 8 or 10 or however many glasses of water you want to drink on your right wrist and as you drink your glasses of water, move one bracelet over to your left wrist. The goal being to move all bracelets to the left by the end of the day!

    Ann

     

    Ann,  that is a great idea, I might just have to use that one. THANKS!


    SAHM to Max and Zachary

    Weight Loss: 10 /21 pounds (first 10 %)
    Total of goal: 10/100-only 90 to go :D
  •  4 hours, 36 minutes ago 11826 in reply to 9814

    Re: How to Hydrate~

    haakadoodle wrote:
    OOh I love bubbles and caffiene! I try to limit myself to 2 a day. But there are day that I get coffee and still have my 2 pops. I only put 2 cans in the fridge everyday to keep me honest. I hate warm pop. I took this idea from a friend. I put fresh lemon in my water. I just cut a lemon in half and squirt in the juice, the water goes down so fast and I drink about 4 lemon waters a day. Beth

    Ohhhhhhhhhh forgot about that one-I used to do that too-totally forgot about that-yet another awesome idea.  I also find the water bottle trick works well for me.

     

    On the days when i can't take any more water i either mix up a jug of crystal light and drink that, or else use the crystal light individuals and add just enough to my glass or bottle to give it a touch of flavor KWIM? that way I get something tasty and good for me at the same time.  LOVE LVOE LOVE crystal light


    SAHM to Max and Zachary

    Weight Loss: 10 /21 pounds (first 10 %)
    Total of goal: 10/100-only 90 to go :D
View as RSS news feed in XML