Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

Mental Health

Last post 01-27-2006, 11:41 AM by polihaupt. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-18-2006, 12:21 AM 9634

    Mental Health

    I am trying to think of ways to be healthier, and my mental health is one of those avenues. I'm always so anxious and busy and I know it's not good for me.

    I think I'll start up yoga again. And walking which should turn into jogging soon. I started reading at night to relax, but I'm such a bookworm that I stay up all night to finish the book that now I'm so exhausted! (I just read four different books in one week)

    I can't wait until spring when I can start walking the dog outside, that is always relaxing yet invigorating for me.

    What kinds of things do you all do to relax and/or clear your mind?


    Angela
    Mama to Satori (11/04)
  •  01-18-2006, 7:22 AM 9649 in reply to 9634

    • gool0005 is not online. Last active: 02-08-2006, 7:23 PM gool0005
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-20-2005
    • Goose Creek, South Carolina
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,245

    Re: Mental Health

    Besides shop for Baby Carriers? Wink [;)]

    What helps me to relax is to go for a drive with no destination. We move around the country a lot and I really like to explore whatever area we live in and get to know it. Not the strips malls and expensive shopping districts but the historic sites and the parks. We do enjoy walking around the flea markets, seeig what people have to offer for sale. I really do like to just go for walks in the woods. Snowshoeing is great fun. It's too bad our snowshoes are just sitting in the closet, not getting used. I also like to relax in the shower. It is nice to be able to close the door and just let hot water run over me with no distractions of babies and kids.

    When I lived in Minnesota, as far as physical excercise in the winter goes, I did like that the Metrodome opened up for rollerskating/blading. You would have to check their schedules but one level would be for adlts only and the other level would be for families. They would play music and you could just skate around and around. It was fun. As I said, if there is enough snow (I heard not so much this year), snowshoeing is great fun. It was always fun to track deer at Battle Creek Park. I also liked taking community ed classes that the county offered. You know, the fun ones like kick-boxing or cake decorating.

    Kelly

  •  01-18-2006, 3:22 PM 9733 in reply to 9634

    Re: Mental Health

    Gosh I hear you! Reading books ends up keeping me up all night too!

    I bet Yoga is the way to go. I've never tried it but people sure swear by it. But the best thing for me is good old fashioned sleep. For some reason, sleeping in late makes me mad I missed out on half the day but going to bed early and sleeping just seems to do wonders. And taking 20 minutes each day to hand off the kid to DH, lock myself in the bathroom and take a bath or just soak my feet in hot water and catch up on a magazine or paint my nails or pluck my eyebrows...ANYTHING to just spend a little time on me. Otherwise, you go nuts constantly caring for everyone else.

    I agree with the previous poster...shopping for baby carriers is relaxing. But I just love going shopping, just me and baby, and walking around with him in his Moby. I could do that for hours....so calming...

     


    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  01-18-2006, 4:23 PM 9739 in reply to 9733

    Re: Mental Health

    Water..is relaxing to me...

    I used to love to go to Carmel watch the sunset with a book.Angel [A] Never tell my parents though. Was a 2 hour drive..lol

    Or a walk by the river. I guess would involve walking and water and music of some type.

    Now with kids, that is hard to do. I like to go for a drive. ALONE with radio on. Shopping/Mall walking was good for a while, but found I was doing more than walking...lol

     

    Great ideas though. Keep them coming, might borrow one


    Proud mother of Gabriel 4/23/02 and Rebecca 5/13/05
  •  01-18-2006, 6:20 PM 9755 in reply to 9634

    Re: Mental Health



    I am the same way with reading. I can't start a book and not finish it. I end up staying awake to finish and that in turn stresses me out more.
    I really want to take a mom and baby yoga class, but they are pretty spendy. I think I am going to look for a mam and baby yoga dvd.
    Taking a soak in the tub is only relaxing me for about 3 minutes, then I start thinking about the list of things I should be doing.
    Talking with my friends and venting has been a huge relief though, so maybe you can let it out with your pals.

    I am looking for more ideas though, I need to be a less anxious person.
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
  •  01-19-2006, 5:20 PM 9881 in reply to 9755

    Re: Mental Health

    Yoga for me. I love reading, too, but it gets stressful because I want to know what happens next and then something interrupts.... you get the picture.

    I just got Shiva Rae's Yoga Shakti DVD and it is so awesome. It is filmed on a beach with all natural lighting. I really like it and the sounds/music/sights just put me in a relaxed mood not to even mention the yoga. :)
    SAHM mom to 2 beautiful girls
  •  01-19-2006, 9:43 PM 9891 in reply to 9881

    Re: Mental Health

    For me, its Yoga, Spinning and Kickboxing.  They each have different stress relief for me.  I usually go without the kids to the gym and just have to concentrate on myself.  Yoga for peace.  Spinning for a good sweat and sort out whatever is in my head.  Kickboxing for getting some aggression out.

    I'd love to start reading again, but I am the same way...I pick up a book and will not put it down.  So I sort of try not to read.

  •  01-19-2006, 10:44 PM 9898 in reply to 9891

    Re: Mental Health

    I like to do the cross trainer at the YMCA. I really don't want to go in the morning, but when I get there it is not so bad and I feel way better when I am done.

    I also love to walk at the mall. I love a good clearance rack. It can really boost my spirits to find a few good deals.

    I do spend time on the computer. I love the babywearing community. I enjoy talking about carriers, and other moms with the same stuff going on as me.

    I took a Mommy and baby Yoga class when Hannah was a baby. It was really fun. It is too bad they only have classes for moms and babies. My wild boys could use some relaxing.
    Beth
  •  01-20-2006, 6:12 AM 9916 in reply to 9898

    Re: Mental Health

    Oh I have to second the mall walk finding good deals! I am such a bargain hunter! :)
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
  •  01-26-2006, 5:24 PM 10678 in reply to 9898

    Re: Mental Health

    There is a yoga kids video--my boys love it

    it even teaches the ABCs!

    we bought it at Target, sold by Giaim

     

    Stacy

  •  01-27-2006, 11:41 AM 10739 in reply to 10678

    Re: Mental Health

    Going for walks in nature while listening to music does it for me -- but I have not been able to in a while... Sad [:(]

    Poliana
    SAHM to 4 wonderful kidos
View as RSS news feed in XML