Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

Thrush support group!!!!

Last post 01-23-2006, 10:29 AM by polihaupt. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-14-2006, 6:34 PM 8927

    Thrush support group!!!!

    OUCH!

    We are going threough out third round of thrush and it SUCKS!

    Ok, I have not been as diligent with keeping up Pat Gima's treatment: I sually stop when it stops hurting. So yes, it is oartially my fault.

    But it is just so tough! With 4 kids it is really hard to keep a complicated healing treatment to the letter...

    Maybe I should just cut sugar altogether? That would be sooo hard!

    So -- anybody else battling thrush at the moment?

    Poliana
    SAHM to 4 wonderful kidos
  •  01-14-2006, 10:01 PM 8943 in reply to 8927

    Re: Thrush support group!!!!

    I had thrush we my ds was 6 weeks old. I can remember it very well. It hurt so bad. I am sorry you are going through it a 3rd time. There are some preventitive things you can do.
    1. Dry all your bras in the dryer. The heat will kill the thrush. Change your bra every day. Even if it mean you have to buy another bra. It will really help. If you are still leaking a lot, change your breast pad after each feeding.
    2. When you are home don't wear a bra. The dry air will help keep you nipples dry. Don't use Lansingo (I really need to check the spelling on that), lanoline. Try going topless at night. It will give your breast a chance to really dry out.
    3. Take accidopholis or bifidious bacteria. You can get it at the coop or whole food stores. Eating yogurt is not enough.
    You can also give the accidopholis to your baby. Sprinkle it on some food, or put it in some juice. Wait, how old is your baby? 6 months is he cut off on that one. Check with your Dr. to make sure.
    4. Do you use a pacifier? If so make sure you are cleaning them a couple times a day. Toys, can also hang on to thrush. Try throwing you plastic toys in the dishwasher and washing cloth toys in the washing machine. If you have wood toys, wash them by hand.
    you can also contact your local LLL leader and she will have a hand out on the treatment of thrush.
    Some moms end up getting a stronger dosage of medication to actually completely get rid of it. A mom in our group ended up taking 2x the dosage to finally get ride of thrush.
    Good Luck,
    Beth
  •  01-19-2006, 11:53 AM 9840 in reply to 8927

    Re: Thrush support group!!!!

    Oh, yuck, poli!  I had thrush with ds and it takes FOREVER to go away!  You have to be really dilligent, I'm so sorry.  The ped gave me meds for him, a cream for me, I bought disposable nursing pads and tossed them every time they got wet AND at each feeding.  Air drying is good.  Not going out in public works, because then you can touch your boobs a lot and no one will notice :D

    I second the bifidus and acidopholus (or however that is spelled).  I had a bifidus powder I got in the refrigerated section at whole foods and I mixed it with breast milk and squirted it in his mouth, he loved it!  And he was teeny--6 weeks or so, so check with your ped and see if you can use it.

    Good luck.  I hope it goes away quick! 

  •  01-22-2006, 5:33 PM 10148 in reply to 8927

    Re: Thrush support group!!!!

    I'm not battling it at the moment but I did for 3 months when DD was a newborn.

    I ended up cutting out all sugar, cheese, and yeast products for a few weeks. I also took and still take acidophulis capsules (billions per capsule). I was on diflucan for 28 days too. Thrush is horrible! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with it. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy!

    I also put vinegar in my laundry, used grapeseed extract (both oral and topical). As well as a few other things!

    I wish you a speedy recovery!

    Kristen

  •  01-23-2006, 10:18 AM 10249 in reply to 10148

    Re: Thrush support group!!!!

    My son got this at 6 weeks and he is bottle fed. Is this more common with breastfeeding? I was wondering how it got it but I guess it's pretty common with babies. I felt TERRIBLE he got it like I did something wrong at the time. His breath was awful and he didn't want to eat because it hurt in his mouth. It took 3 weeks to go away!Snail [sn]

     


    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  01-23-2006, 10:29 AM 10250 in reply to 10249

    Re: Thrush support group!!!!

    eaganbeautyadvisor wrote:

    My son got this at 6 weeks and he is bottle fed. Is this more common with breastfeeding? I was wondering how it got it but I guess it's pretty common with babies. I felt TERRIBLE he got it like I did something wrong at the time. His breath was awful and he didn't want to eat because it hurt in his mouth. It took 3 weeks to go away!Snail [sn]

     



    The thing with thrush and breastfeeding is that the yeast really likes warmth and humidity -- the exact environment on the breast area + the milk is sweet too, which does not really help. So if it is not treated, the mom passes to the baby and the baby passes it back to the mom and it is complicated treating two people at the same time.

    Had your baby been treated with antibiotics before he got thrush? Antibiotics kill all the bacteria -- even the good one that gets rid of the yeast -- so it is very common for people to have thrush after antibiotic treatment. Also, keeping the baby's butt always dry and clean helps avoid thrush. But yes, some babies will have thrush regardless, so maybe you want to talk to the Ped about how to prevent it and better treat it if your baby has it again.

    UPDATE -- Now the thrush cleared up from my breasts, but it has attacked DS's diaper area Crying [:'(]  He has 5 ugly blisters on his penis and it is very itchy. I had him with a diaper the whole night and it helped some. I will call his ped to ask what I can apply on DS. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!  Crying [:'(]


    Poliana
    SAHM to 4 wonderful kidos
View as RSS news feed in XML