I also started just the milk sign at 6 mos to reinforce it but started more signs around 9-10 mos like more, finished, mother, father, please. He's 14 mos now and only does milk, more, eat/food, and I think he does mother and father sometimes. My 4 yr old and 7 yr old have really started to do a lot of signs with him (they LOVE Signing Time too
) and I think that really helps. He's never watched TV except for these Signing Time DVDs in the last month so he's not too interested but the older kids are great teachers for me!
With my 2nd child I started around 7-8 mos and she signed a lot by the time she was 1 yr-it was sooo helpful. So each child is different of course. She signed until she was almost 3 yrs as she was talking-it was cute!
Ann, Full-time mama of 2 crazy kids and a sling'n toddler