in

New to baby wearing.

Last post 03-17-2006, 8:43 PM by jjfettinger. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-14-2006, 9:28 PM 12261

    New to baby wearing.

    I have had the baby bjorn for this past year and my daughter is starting to out grow it. I am thinking about buying the Patapum (the larger of the two for a toddler) or the ERGO carrier. Does anyone have any experience with these? I LOVE the free hand mei tais. They are beautiful. But are they all that comfortable to wear for 2-3 hours at a time. We do a lot outside and i do a lot of shopping with her and i want her to be as comfortable as she can. HELP!!!
    Thanks 

    Jessica,
    Mom to Roman Issac (5ys) &
    Jillian Rose (1yr)
  •  02-14-2006, 10:33 PM 12268 in reply to 12261

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    I actually think mei tais in general and esp the Freehand are more comfortable than the structured carriers like Patapum or Ergo. I've worn my mei tais for hours and they are great! I have a Patapum and I use it for walks sometimes but I mainly got it for DH since it''s more "mainstream" looking for him. ;)

    But I much prefer my Sachi or Angelpack mei tais for long walks or shopping! They are so versatile and not quite as hot in the summer as the Patapum can get.

    Ann


    Ann, Full-time mama of 2 crazy kids and a sling'n toddler
  •  02-17-2006, 1:47 AM 12445 in reply to 12261

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    Wow!  You're one tough mama!  My Bjorn hurt my back amost right off the bat so I did Right slings, Mei Tais, then wraps.  Although I have no experience with an Ergo, I know lots of ladies who LOVE them.  And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get something other than your Bjorn.  You'll totally understand what the fuss is about!

    I love my Mei Tais (MT).  They are incredibly comfortable because your child is pulled toward you, close to your center of gravity.  Babies become almost weightless, if you can believe it!  Toddlers, too!  I've worn my 3 yo for a time (he's 30#) and it's comfortable!  But I wouldn't do it for long, not with him.  Of course, not every MT is built the same, and there is a degree of personal preference involved, but for the most part, the major brands our there fit the bill nicely.

    One of the things that can be daunting about a MT is the straps.  They are long and can drag on the ground when you are first putting the carrier on.  But aside from that, they are great with so many wonderful styles and prints to choose from!  That's what I enjoy about MTs (besides the comfort), is the style.  And it's the reason I won't choose an Ergo--too ugly in my opinion!Big Smile [:D]  But that shouldn't stop you from getting one!  It is very mainstream looking and suits its purpose comfortably.

    That said, I would encourage you to get a FreeHand if you love the looks of them.  The resale value is wonderful if you find it doesn't agree with you, but I think you will be a quick convert and really, really wish you had discovered it sooner!

    Good luck to you!


    Kristin
  •  02-17-2006, 6:58 PM 12514 in reply to 12261

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    I really like my New Generation Ergo and, best of all, my husband will actually use it because it looks so mainstream. I also, love my mei tais but, as the previous post said, they can take awhile to learn. I've never tried a Patapum but I've heard good things about them. The only complaint about the toddler version is that it can be a little tricky to get the toddler in past the extra strap.

    Dare I say this? I would recommend purchasing one of each to see how you like them and you can always return one - or, better yet, keep both. I love having both an Ergo and a MT depending on where I am going or what I will be doing. Or I use both at the same time; the mei tai to carry my 16 month old and the Ergo for my 3 year.
  •  02-18-2006, 7:14 PM 12547 in reply to 12445

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    what MT do you like the best? my daughters first birhtday is on the 24th (of feb.)  and my mom bought me the patapum (?) from this web site as a gift.   how do you feel about those? 

     i may just go ahead and buy the MT anyway.  any suggestions?   i do a lot of shopping and outdoor activities with our son (5).   i am about  5'2"  and i weigh about 150 lbs  (hopefully not for too much longer!!!!!).  i dont know if that makes a difference.  my daughter weighs 20 lbs and she is very long.  suggestions would be very helpful!!!

    also i dont like to wait for shipping.  i did find a site that will make custom MTs if you send in the fabric.   but the shipping is like way too long?

    THANK YOU!!!

     


    Jessica,
    Mom to Roman Issac (5ys) &
    Jillian Rose (1yr)
  •  02-20-2006, 1:39 AM 12601 in reply to 12547

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    I've never used a patapum, either, but I know a gal who does and she liked it.  How do you like it?

    As far as MTs go, lots of times it's a personal preference.  IME, I've found that a wide (minimum 3.5"W) strap is most comfortable and it needs a littke bit of padding.  Most MTs have this.  I've made my own, which work well for me.  I have tried a FH, ABK GoGoBabyTote, and Kozy.  I found the Kozy to be the most comfortable.  I do have a custom BabyHawk on order.  My DS2 is almost 9 months and close to 20#.  He's on the tall side.  And I'm 5'3 and 130. 


    Kristin
  •  02-28-2006, 9:09 PM 12990 in reply to 12601

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    i bought a mt on e-bay. i thought that it was a great deal $25 inlcuding shipping.  i also bought a patapum.  i have to say that i LOVE the patapum.  it is so much more comfortable than the mt.  i also dont think i am tieing the mt. correctly. any suggestions???

    thanks,

    jessica


    Jessica,
    Mom to Roman Issac (5ys) &
    Jillian Rose (1yr)
  •  03-01-2006, 11:15 AM 13022 in reply to 12990

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    So glad you're liking the Patapum! It's so great when you find something that works well for you.

    Tell us about what's wrong with the mei tai that you think you're tying it wrong...are you wearing her on your front or back? There are great instruction pictures at the www.kozycarrier.com site-I'd look at those for some tips

    Good luck and congrats on your carrier purchases!

    Ann


    Ann, Full-time mama of 2 crazy kids and a sling'n toddler
  •  03-10-2006, 2:48 AM 13341 in reply to 12261

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    I use MT more than Ergo, but comfort wise they are equal, in my opinion, I just find Ergo - well - boring. I love color and pattern and find the ability to choose something more personal than an Ergo amazing - especially since it is equally comfortable.

    Mamma to the two most beautiful carriable Norwegain boys in the world!
  •  03-17-2006, 8:37 PM 13591 in reply to 13341

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    I just LOVE my patapum.  Both of my children have beed sick this week and I haven't been able to put my daughter down.  My son is home from school so the patapum came in handy.  I actually left it in the car, so I used the MT around the house for a little while.  After about 20 minutes I went out to the car in the freezing cold, and got the patapum, put her in it, and off we went for the rest of the night!!  I am going to check out that website and see if it has suggestions on how to tie the MT better! Thanks!!
    Jessica,
    Mom to Roman Issac (5ys) &
    Jillian Rose (1yr)
  •  03-17-2006, 8:43 PM 13592 in reply to 13022

    Re: New to baby wearing.

    I feel like I am tieing the MT the same way as the instructions - the high back and the regular back position.  It really hurts my back.  But, the patapum doesnt!  So I guess I found what works, and I love it!  The only thing I wish it had was a place to put the hood when its not in use.  It works well to support her head when she falls asleep!!!  I am so thankful for this website!! and your advice!!

    Thanks Again,


    Jessica,
    Mom to Roman Issac (5ys) &
    Jillian Rose (1yr)
View as RSS news feed in XML