in

HELP - What do I need?

Last post 03-08-2006, 1:36 PM by Tradmama. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-17-2006, 2:01 PM 12481

    HELP - What do I need?

    Okay so I am scared of the big diaper board as well...I posted this over there and I got no reply so I am hoping someone here can help me out.  I have NOOOOO idea what to use to get started with DS (6mo old) on CD?  I mean I don't know what to ask, I don't know the comparibles about what is good pros/cons, etc.

    All I know is - I want easy.  I want to not leak.  Cost is not a huge factor, but I don't want to go super crazy, but then again this is our first of hopefully 3 so I figure I can use them for a long time.

    Ladies - where do I go?  What do I get?  How do I start?  I just need someone to say - GO DO THIS!

    THANKS for your help!

    StacyZ

  •  02-17-2006, 4:20 PM 12505 in reply to 12481

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    It took me 5 months to make the leap to CD and I'm soooo glad I did. I know its expensive up front but if you do the math it's like $1,300 per kid in diapers...and that's Wal-mart brand! So $200 for CD up front isn't bad. I wanted easy and I did my research and got Wonderoos. And I really really like them. You don't need to invest in different sizes or anything. And they come with the insert. They have the pocket in the back you stuff with the insert and then you just separate them and wash them with very little detergent. Couldn't be easier than that. I got 12 and that wasn't enough at first so I am at 19 going to 25 total. I guess the more you have the longer they last. And I want 3 kids too so these need to last!!!!!!!


    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  02-18-2006, 7:50 AM 12527 in reply to 12481

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    Hi Stacy-

    I know the choices can be overwhelming.  I started CDing late with my son, he was probably about 15 months or so.  Once I saw some IRL it kinda all came together.  There are several different options you can go with.

    • Prefolds and covers: probably the most affordable option but also the "most work."  I have read really good things about the Chinese prefolds.  There are a lot of options as far as covers go but I think I would use either Bummis or Imse Vimse Bumpy diaper covers.
    • Pocket diapers: these are what most newbies start off with, they can be similar to disposables but you can adjust the absorbancy of the diaper depending on what insert you use.  FB are probably the most popular brand but there are also different options depending on what you like as far as linings, snaps, velcro, etc.  I prefer suedecloth over fleece or microfleece (it comes out so clean and I haven't had problems with stains on my suedecloth dipes). 
    • All-in-one (AIO) diapers: more expensive but most like disposables.  The biggest con to this type is that they take FOREVER to dry.

    This is a good time to try CDs, most babies tend to stabilize their weight for a little bit at around 6 months or so.  The diapers you buy now might fit for several months unless of course you decide to go with one size diapers like BumGenius!, Wonderoos or Magic-Alls.

    I would guesstimate how many diapers you use in one day and add 2-3 to that number and multiply how many days you would like to go btw washes.  If you change him 10 times in one day and want to do wash every 2 days, I would get about 24 diapers to start.

    You would also need a wetbag and I highly recommend Sportwash/SensiClean detergent.  In the beginning it's an experiment and you have to play around with the formula to determine what works best for you and your family.  I tried three different detergents and tons of different diapers and now I am cloth diapering 95% FT, something I NEVER thought I would do.  I found it to be a lot of fun and just as addictive as baby carriers.  If you have any other questions, just let me know!  Have fun and good luck!

     


    Angie

    Mom to Brady (4.04) and another little bun in the oven EDD 9.14.06
  •  02-19-2006, 7:41 PM 12591 in reply to 12527

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    I am new to this whole CD thing, too.  I totally agree with you it is so overwhelming trying to get started.  I am starting really late with DS #2--Chase is almost 2 and a half!  He is dictating most of our CD choices right now as he is still getting used to the new feel.  He hates the AIOs and isn't fond of velcro.  I am trying to get the hang of this and decide what to do with DS #3 due in two weeks.  I figure I will be able to use the larger sizes again, so I can justify starting CD now with Chase.  We have been using mostly FuzziBunz.  We have been able to get by washing every day and a half with about 8-10 diapers, but we are using sposies at night, too.  He is also at the point where he goes on the potty off and on, so we aren't using very many diapers per day.

    Good luck with your search!  I was also able to find a local store that had some cloth diaper accessories.  I needed to see and touch to decide what to try and that was REALLY helpful, then I have been able to shop more online.  I have already fallen in love with CDing!!!

    Stacy

    Mom to Garrett, Chase and almost another baby!


    Stacy :)
    Mom to Garrett-2.23.01- and Chase-9.30.03- and Aiden-3.15.06
  •  02-20-2006, 6:43 PM 12651 in reply to 12591

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    http://www.7thheavenbabies.com/howmuch/index.asp

    http://www.diapershop.com/index.php/action/faq/
    nak :)
    Stephanie
    Mom to Isabella 12-12-05

  •  02-26-2006, 7:34 AM 12824 in reply to 12481

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    ok-here's the deal.  i started ds1 in cd at 2 1/2 and ds2 at about 4mths.  i started with prefolds, which i still love.  than went to ebay, but was disappointed with most of what i got. Except my motherease sandy's.  these have proven invaluable in our house.  dad loves them.  they are easy to snap and i put a prefold in the big ones for my ds1 who is a crazy wetter.  i also put a booster in ds2, just out of habit i think.  bought more from motherease and i got 24 dipes, 12 liners and 4 covers for $270.  good deal!! they wash great and the shipping is only $3!!!  when you call them you get a real person.  The covers they ahave are WONDERFUL!!! we don't like bummis at all-vick issues, but i will never part with my ME AFs.  we also use wool covers at night or at home because i make them and they are breathable and bulletproof.  i do fhave a few wahm pockets, but i don''t use them as much as i thought i would.  go with ME!!!!!!!
  •  02-26-2006, 9:36 AM 12827 in reply to 12824

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    How do you make your wool covers?? Recycled wool sweaters? Or do you knit yours??
    I need to find a mommy who knits and would be willing to knit me one!! :)
    Stephanie
    Mom to Isabella 12-12-05

  •  02-26-2006, 2:58 PM 12839 in reply to 12827

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    i use recycled sweaters-can't knit
  •  02-28-2006, 2:00 PM 12967 in reply to 12481

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets no response at the big CD forum! 

    I say just go do it!  The biggest change in going from sposies to cloth is the extra washing, which really isn't so bad since folding isn't a big deal.  Get enough so you're not stuck HAVING to wash every day.  Don't buy a super huge diaper pail or you'll end up procrastinating on your wash.  Keep a back up of disposibles.  You'll need to cheat some days until you get the routine down.  If money is no object, go with pockets.  I invested in the chinese prefolds and covers--it's a royal pain to deal with the prefold, a fleece liner, the cover and a squirmy kid.  And I fnd that with my poopy boy, I'm changing the covers every time.  Covers hold the poo in, but the poo gets on the diaper and the cover.

    I can't help you too much with brands or sizes--I'm still learning (and sort of stuck with my CPF).  I do know that if your DC has skinny legs, that becomes an issue with finding a good fit.  Chunky legs don't have as much a problem.  Good luck.  Cloth is a little hard to wrap yourself around in the beginning, but it really isn't so bad.


    Kristin
  •  02-28-2006, 2:03 PM 12968 in reply to 12967

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    One more thing:  I find using cheap-o washclothes or making wipes out of flannel/thin baby towels is so much easier than using disposible wipes.  No separating rubbish from diapers and everything gets washed together.
    Kristin
  •  02-28-2006, 4:17 PM 12980 in reply to 12968

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    Oh man, sorry you guys aren't getting help over at the big diaper board. Is it DS? I've been a member there from the begining and they are very helpful. When I first started out cding I wish I new what I know now. I  have no doubt I have spent well over $1000.00 on cds and my son is only 1 year old!! Don't get in the trap of buying the "IN" thing. Once the love is over you'll have a hard time selling them. Stick to name brand stuff like Fuzzi Bunz. With a skinny guy I would suggest trying a Petite FB and Cottonbabies onesize inserts.

    For cheap and effective I would go the Chinese Prefold trifolded in a Prorap Cover, add a fleece topped doubler for overnight. You don't need to know how to fold the diapers or use Snappis. Just take a prefold and just trifold it length wise and lay it in a velcro wrap. nickisdiapers.com or cottonbabies.com

    For easier use I'd go for Fuzzi Bunz and you get the free Cottonbabies Onesize inserts with each one. Use a doubler (not fleece topped) inside with the Onesize overnight. cottonbabies.com

    Motherease are also great. I prefer snapping covers, Airflows,  with either the Onesize or the Sandys, I have both and use them daily. This is what makes up 90% of our stash.

    I love Kushies diaperliners and you can get them at basicallybaby.com

    Like I said, after switching my stash a hundred times, I wish I would have just stuck to what I started out with in the begining.

    Second time around what I would do....

    Penny Saver but works great. Buy 24 Chinese Prefolds, 12 Prorap Covers, 6 Fleece topped Microfiber doublers. 2 Snappis

    OR

     Buy a 2-12  Fuzzi Bunz package diaper deals at Cottonbabies.com with free inserts and shipping, you can pick your colors too. Add in 6 Microfiber doublers and a roll of Kushies Diaperliners and you'll be set. Fuzzi Bunz and MotherEase hold their value and you won't lose your shirt when it comes time to sell. 24 diapers you will be able to wash every other day.

    OR

    I'd buy the Complete MotherEase Onesize package that comes with 24 diapers and all the covers you will need.

    I use Sportswash from the Walmart Sporting goods section. This is what I do everyother day.

    Cold pre-rinse

    Hot wash with capfull of Sportswash

    Second Cold final rinse

    Hang dry Fuzzi Bunz  or covers  ,dry inserts, Onesize or Sandys in dryer.

    Hang in sun to sunout the stains.

    I use the Safety First Diaper pail and just line it with regular garbage bags. For long lasting fresh scent I used one of those scent discs that stick on to stuff. I just stick in on the top of the outside of the pail and theres a perfect spot for it, like it was meant for it. Change when needed.

    I think I have visited every diaper online shop you can and by far my favorites are the ones with free shipping offers and free inserts. Here are my faves

    Cottonbabies.com

    Motherease.com

    Nickisdiapers.com

    Jacksmagicbeanstalk.com

    HTH.

     

    Holly B

     


    SAHM to Kayleigh 1995, Ashley 2001, Seth 2005 and WTC #4
  •  03-01-2006, 12:24 PM 13028 in reply to 12980

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    Who needs the big boards when we have you Holly!  Thanks for all that great advice and the websites, too.  That was a huge help for me!
    Kristin
  •  03-08-2006, 1:36 PM 13258 in reply to 13028

    Re: HELP - What do I need?

    You got lots of great replies here,  I just wanted to throw out my experience here real quick on what lasts.    I have some CPF that have lasted nearly 11 years and will be going on their 8th baby in a few months.    I have some fitted Kissaluvs,  size 0 that will be on their  3rd baby in a few months,  but my size 1 Kissaluvs have most likely seen their last baby butt after my toddler is out of 'em.  (he's the second to wear them)    In the way of covers/wraps,  I have an aristocrat that will be their 5th baby soon,  it's in great shape.  I have a few Liz's cloth wool wraps that are still going strong after 4 babies,  some cheap-o  new zealand wool soakers (I have 6 of these)  that will be on their 7th baby,  but these I don't trust at night or out and about,  my kiddos generally wear these at home w/nothing over top.  (they are so darn cute that way anyhow!)  Oh,  and biobottoms size A that are in top notch condition going on baby 8. 

    Fuzzi buns and Wonderoos,  in my experience,  don't have a long life,  and I only use these out and about or when Dad or Grandma are with the baby if I step out for a bit.  They get very little use,  yet they don't wear well. 

    So, personally,  I say ya can't beat CPF,  pinned or snappied,  (although frequent snappi use seem to snag the dipes a bit)  with a wool soaker overtop work GREAT! and really last.  I think pocket diapers work good for part time use or less.    Hope that helps a bit.


    ~Lisa,
    Homebirthing, Homeschooling, Babywearing Mama to:
    Nicholas, 11
    Abigail, 9
    Gabriel, 7
    Isaac, 5
    Mary, 3
    Samuel, 2
    Henry (Joey), 1
    Baby due in June
    ~Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow~
View as RSS news feed in XML