Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Shop Forums Photos Blogs

Toddler wants to go play in the snow but doesn't want to wear his snow clothes.

Last post 02-17-2006, 7:51 AM by dnield. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-13-2006, 9:01 AM 12070

    Toddler wants to go play in the snow but doesn't want to wear his snow clothes.

    My 2 year old loves to play outside.  Right now, there is a foot of snow on the ground and he wants to wear his regular shoes, not his snow boots.  We go through this a lot.  Sometimes it is sandals in the rain, sometimes it is just a sweater in 35 degree weather.  Sometimes I fight him, and sometimes I let him do what he wants, figuring that he will realize pretty quickly that snowboots are a better choice than sneakers for a foot of snow.  I make sure he doesn't get too cold, and he does come in the house when he gets cold, no matter what he is wearing, but should I fight him on this? 

    If your toddler wants to go play in the snow in inappropriate shoes do you...

    • Fight with him until he puts his snowboots on? (0%)
    • Make him stay inside? (50%)
    • Let him go outside in his socks and "sandal shoes" or sneakers figuring that he will get cold and come in quickly enough? (50%)
    • Other, please elaborate. (0%)
    • Total Votes: 4

    Dorothy
  •  02-13-2006, 3:59 PM 12102 in reply to 12070

    Re: Toddler wants to go play in the snow but doesn't want to wear his snow clothes.

    I am sure once his feet get cold and wet he will realize boot are better. I would have had a hard time doing that with my 1st child. By the 2nd and 3rd I realize kids are tough and a little self teaching of cold and wet may just do the trick. My boys did not really like mittens so I just let them go out without them. Within minutes they wanted mittens on. I had them in my pocket and they realized quickly how much warmer it was. I also really like the stretchy gloves they have at Target. They are made for an adult, fit my kids perfectly. They also have fun prints on them that my kids love. Their favorites are the skeleton gloves that were in the $1 section at Target. I really should have gotten more of them.
    Beth
  •  02-14-2006, 2:49 AM 12155 in reply to 12102

    Re: Toddler wants to go play in the snow but doesn't want to wear his snow clothes.

    This is an ongoing issue for us.  i like the idea of sending him out as a learning lesson but my toddler is so stubborn he would just pretend they weren't cold and get frostbite-LOL  I tend to tell him either he does what I say )put proper shoes on) or no outside.  Period. LO L I guess i am kind of a hard nose that way.


    SAHM to Max and Zachary

    Weight Loss: 10 /21 pounds (first 10 %)
    Total of goal: 10/100-only 90 to go :D
  •  02-17-2006, 7:51 AM 12453 in reply to 12155

    Re: Toddler wants to go play in the snow but doesn't want to wear his snow clothes.

    I have done this, and it does work to a point, but luckily, DS seems to be pretty aware when he gets uncomfortable and will come in when he is cold.  He even sometimes will come in and tell me he needs whatever it was that I told him he needed in the first place.  :)  At least he no longer tries to go out without gloves and a hat.  He will even say to me that he needs a hat and gloves when he decides he wants to go outside.  Our only issue at this point seems to be the shoes (sandals instead of boots) and sometimes he picks an inapropriate jacket.  Oh well, I guess it could be a lot worse. 

    Dorothy
View as RSS news feed in XML