Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

Infant Vitamins

Last post 02-10-2006, 8:23 PM by Chmmr. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-30-2006, 11:17 PM 11089

    Infant Vitamins

    I'm just wondering who is giving/gave their infants vitamins and at what age you started.  My ds is 9 weeks old and the pediatrician told me to start him on the vitamins with Iron.  This seems like its a bit too soon to me, we are exclusively breastfeeding, but I thought that we could wait until about 6 months to start some sort of iron supplement.  What do you think?

    Tessa

    Mom to Mitchell 1-1-93,
    Bailee 12-20-94
    Tristan 11-27-05
  •  01-31-2006, 1:55 PM 11147 in reply to 11089

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    I'm not trying to bash drs here but I honestly wonder sometimes where they get their info! Anyting you read will tell you that babies get all their iron needed when breastfeeding exclusively for the first 6 mos. Even for the first yr they are fine but esp the first 6 mos.

    Unless your baby had a specific medical issue you do not need to supplement them with any vitamins if you are exclusively bfing.

    My 14 mos old is still 90% bf and our ped even said that he's getting all that he needs until 18 mos-and after that it just depends on individual kids.

    I don't have specific link but I think www.kellymom.com ?? has more info or www.lalecheleague.org will for sure

    Good luck


    Ann, Full-time mama of 2 crazy kids and a sling'n toddler
  •  01-31-2006, 4:55 PM 11163 in reply to 11147

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    Hi,
    Our pediatrician told us to start infant vitamins right away even though we were attempting to exclusively BF. Our baby was premature though so I thought that was maybe why.

    I have no other thoughts :)

    Kristen

  •  02-02-2006, 9:05 PM 11324 in reply to 11089

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    I had this same question a month ago, when my ped suggested it too.  I went to kellymom and found this: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html  I also talked to my LLL leader and concluded that my ped doesn't know enough about breastfeeding.  I decided against giving my 3 month old iron supplements based on the info I found and that fact that the ped was recommending all bf babies take iron, not just the ones that need it based on iron levels.   Of course I also decided that he didn't need vitamin D supplements either when that was recommended (again to all bf babies) during the 2 month appointment based on similiar resources and the intention of letting Caleb get some sun!  

    I really think drs just don't have enough info about breastfeeding and are just covering themselves by issuing generic vitamin and supplement suggestions.  Not all babies are the same and shouldn't be treated as such medically! 

  •  02-09-2006, 2:59 AM 11719 in reply to 11324

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    I have a 14 month old that is very prone to colds etc (he has an almost 4 year old brother so that doesn;t help) that I have been considering giving a multivitamin to in order to boost his immune system.  Has anyone done that for a child of that age or have any info on it??
    SAHM to Max and Zachary

    Weight Loss: 10 /21 pounds (first 10 %)
    Total of goal: 10/100-only 90 to go :D
  •  02-09-2006, 7:12 AM 11727 in reply to 11719

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    Is supplimenting something you do if you are breastfeeding? I don't and my pediatrician said that formula is already fortified and that you don't need to add anything to it. I am just curious.


    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  02-10-2006, 2:41 AM 11832 in reply to 11727

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    I  think it depends.  Ususally if you are bfing all you need to give the babe is vitamin d drops.  However since my son is always sick and is nursing infrequently I thought perhaps a bit of vitamins might be beneficial to him in boosting his immune system.  I gather formula is fortified with all kinds of stuff, but since ds won't drink formula that doesn't help me.Wink [;)]


    SAHM to Max and Zachary

    Weight Loss: 10 /21 pounds (first 10 %)
    Total of goal: 10/100-only 90 to go :D
  •  02-10-2006, 9:23 AM 11855 in reply to 11089

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    DS's pediatrician told me to give him iron, too, but I never did, partially because I had to supplement, and partially because I read it was not necessary.  We have a different pediatrician for DD (we moved across the country) and the only thing I was told to give was vitamin D.

    Dorothy
  •  02-10-2006, 2:34 PM 11862 in reply to 11855

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    Ummm I think we started to give Jack vitamin drops around 6 months...Quinn's 6 month appt is in 2 weeks...but at the last few she hasnt said anything about needing to do drops.

    Julie...I gave Jack a multi vitamin around 1 or so...ours were gummy and he had no problem chewing and swallowing them.


    Jess
    Mom to Jack & Quinn

    Indy Babywearers--contact me for more info!
  •  02-10-2006, 8:23 PM 11910 in reply to 11862

    Re: Infant Vitamins

    Thanks Jess,, I have seen those, might have to try that.  Although I kind of have issues with them thinking it is candy and wanting them all the time-KWIM?  Was that ever a problem for you with Jack?
    SAHM to Max and Zachary

    Weight Loss: 10 /21 pounds (first 10 %)
    Total of goal: 10/100-only 90 to go :D
View as RSS news feed in XML