Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Shop Forums Photos Blogs

Breastfeeding in the ER

Last post 01-29-2006, 6:45 PM by Jayna's mama. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-28-2006, 4:39 PM 10850

    Breastfeeding in the ER

    I was so nervous to nurse in the ER yesterday. My ds got the stomach flu and became very dehydrated. So I took him to the local children's hospital. I was worried they were going to say I couldn't nurse him. I know breastmilk is considered a clear liquid, but I wasn't sure if they would. I was also nervous about still nursing my 2 year old. I had nothing to worry about. I actually had a wonderful experience. We had 5 nurses helping us. Each one was wonderful about nursing. They all complimented me on still nursing. They also said how nice it was for my ds to be getting such great nutruition... Even the dr. were impressed we were still nursing.
    After 1 bag of IV fluids went in, Haak was able to nurse and keep it down. He nursed for 1/2 hour. I was so thursty, so I asked one of the nurses for some water. She said, "don't you want some milk?" I said, "no water is fine". She said "you need to drink milk to make milk". I just laughed, I think some of the breastfeeding myths are funny.
    Beth
  •  01-28-2006, 8:17 PM 10862 in reply to 10850

    Re: Breastfeeding in the ER

    Hope your ds is feeing better!  Sorry you had to go to the ER but I'm glad it was a good bf-friendly experience!  I wonder what the nurse thinks COWS drink though?
  •  01-28-2006, 9:22 PM 10866 in reply to 10850

    Re: Breastfeeding in the ER

    ER visits are scary.  Period.  I'm glad things are better for you.  See, not everyone is down on breastfeeding!  It's great to hear there are some smart doctors and nurses out there.  Well, except for the milk comment.  LOL!
    Kristin
  •  01-29-2006, 6:45 PM 10967 in reply to 10850

    Re: Breastfeeding in the ER

    Oh Beth, Sorry to hear Haak is sick :(

    Good for you for being a good example of how nursing our toddlers is a loving thing!

    It really is optimal nutrition for your little guy.
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
View as RSS news feed in XML