Baby Sling, Babywearing Shop and Community
in

Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

Last post 10-16-2006 11:16 PM by kitchenvixen. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2006 5:26 PM

    • Pookie
    • Joined on 06-29-2006
    • Posts 2
    • Points 31

    Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    I am looking for a carrier for my one year old.  He is small (17.5 lbs, 29 inches).  We have tried the Ergo, but he does not like it.  We have tried the front and back carry positions.  The Ergo also seems a bit bulky and uncomfortable for me (I am small--5 ft 3 in with a short torso).  He is happy as a clam in Baby Bjorn (and has been since about 4-5 months; before that I had him in New Native sling--which he liked till that point).  I think he just got used to facing out in Baby Bjorn and now that is all he likes.  Wish I knew more about carriers before I had him---I friend of mine suggested Baby Bjorn--so that's what I got.   Baby Bjorn is getting a bit uncomfortable for me and now I realize it is also not the most supportive for his pelvis.

    Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

    • Post Points: 19
  • 07-03-2006 10:11 AM In reply to

    • melamomma

    • Joined on 01-26-2006
    • Farmington, MN
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,241

    Re: Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    There are a bunch of different carriers that you can use to face him out like the Bjorn.  You could use a pouch and kangaroo him with his legs crossed.  There is at least one way to tie a wrap and put a baby facing out.  I think they really like being up high on your back, too.  Then they can really see what is going on!  You can use a Mei Tai for facing out if the legs are crossed inside, or for short periods with the legs out.  What about a hip carry?

    HTH!

    Stacy :)
    Mom to Garrett-2.23.01- and Chase-9.30.03- and Aiden-3.15.06
    • Post Points: 12
  • 07-03-2006 3:35 PM In reply to

    • Pookie
    • Joined on 06-29-2006
    • Posts 2
    • Points 31

    Re: Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    Thanks for your help.  I am going to order both the Mei Tai and the Wrap and see which one works best.  As for the hip carry, I tried it with the Ergo and he did not like it.  Maybe it will just take some getting used to.  Next baby, no more Bjorn!!  Wish I had more knowledge about all the carrier options earlier!!  Oh well....

    • Post Points: 12
  • 07-06-2006 11:12 AM In reply to

    Re: Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    With my daughter, she didn't like some carries right away, but with a little practice, she was fine with them. One thing that helps is to get moving as soon as they are in, dancing, spinning, singing, bouncing & looking at interesting things. You'll love your new carriers!!
    • Post Points: 19
  • 08-28-2006 9:51 AM In reply to

    Re: Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    You will be really happy with the mai tei carrier. I have a baby hawk with minkey lining that Jack is fast asleep in as I type to you. COngrats on the baby
    • Post Points: 5
  • 09-28-2006 5:43 PM In reply to

    • PolkaMonkey

    • Joined on 06-08-2006
    • California
    • Posts 52
    • Points 295

    Re: Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    FunnyMonkey:
    With my daughter, she didn't like some carries right away, but with a little practice, she was fine with them. One thing that helps is to get moving as soon as they are in, dancing, spinning, singing, bouncing & looking at interesting things. You'll love your new carriers!!

     

    Yep - this is key!  DD likes to be on the move (well, now she'll chill in the carrier, but at first).  Good luck!  I'm a wrap junkie, so I hope you find the love, but MTs are wonderful too! 

    Momma to Olivia (Lees) and wifey to dear Ken
    • Post Points: 12
  • 10-10-2006 3:26 PM In reply to

    • Topview

    • Joined on 10-07-2006
    • Ontario Canada
    • Posts 117
    • Points 620

    Re: Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    I use a 3.3 m wrap tied in a front cross carry and put the baby in facing out. It gives the same position as a bjorn, but if you spread the fabric under the child's bottom, it puts thechild in a more ideal position. You can also tie it higher and tigher than the bjorn and it is much more comfortable than the bjorn.  I will get and post a picture the next time we use that carry.  My little guy is as happy as a clam in that carry.
    Melanie
    4 boys (6, 4, 2, Born June 14)
    Ontario Canada
    • Post Points: 5
  • 10-16-2006 11:16 PM In reply to

    Re: Baby likes Bjorn only--Help!!!

    Try a wrap one...like this.... www,sashawrap.com

     

    Anita
    wife to Jimmy (2/99)
    Momma to Dexter(11/99) Joaquin (8/02), Maggie (6/04) and Waylon (6/06)
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)