Baby Sling, Babywearing Shop and Community
in

Don't know how to choose????

Last post 02-06-2007 10:05 AM by Elizabeth. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-19-2007 2:20 PM

    • eandg81
    • Joined on 01-19-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Points 56

    Don't know how to choose????

    Hi, I am the mother of a 20 month old baby boy and I have another boy due in April. I am very interested in baby wearing but I don't really know what I need or the best product. My toddler wants to be held all the time so I didn't know if there was anything I could wear to carry him also because he hates a stroller. I just wondered what's best for an infant and also what is best for a toddler or any advice at all would be appreciated. I'm also only 5 feet tall and when I'm not pregnant about a size 10 or 12.  Thanks!

    • Post Points: 56
  • 01-19-2007 9:02 PM In reply to

    Re: Don't know how to choose????

    Well I will start you off with the toddler angle because when I had an infant all I knew about was ring slings ;)

    For my 20 month old, I carry her on my back in a toddler Patapum (or an Ergo would be pretty  similar), or a mei tai (there are many brands of these), or a woven wrap (not a stretchy wrap).  I've listed them in order of how fast they are to learn.  They are all comfortable to me - however because you are shorter than the average that a Patapum or Ergo was designed for, I don't know if there is a chance that they might not fit as well (I'm imagining that there is a limit to how far that kind of backpack straps can be tightened, whereas a mei tai or a wrap has no limit to adjustment) so I'd want to read feedback from someone the same size or try one on if you are thinking of one of those.  Is there a NINO group near you where you could try things?  Except for the toddler Patapum (because there's a smaller size recommended for younger babies), any of the kinds of carriers I mentioned could alternatively be used for an infant in a front carry.

    mom to DS (march 2003) and DD (may 2005)
    • Post Points: 5
  • 01-26-2007 4:44 PM In reply to

    • mliss

    • Joined on 01-20-2006
    • Posts 20
    • Points 168

    Re: Don't know how to choose????

    Don't know if you are still checking your post, since it has been awhile, but there are some great options even while you are pregnant.

    First, I would highly recommend a ring sling.  A ring sling, being adjustable, will expanded with your pregnancy weight gain and contract with your post-partum weight loss.  A ring sling is easy to pull "open" which makes it easier to put a toddler in and not get in the way of your baby belly.  Also, your toddler could ride on your hip or back and not be in the way of your belly.  Once baby arrives the ring sling would work for your toddler and the newborn.

    While a ring sling is terrific for short carries (and so much more comfortable than trying to use your arms) it can get fatiguing because most of the weight is distributed only on one side of the body and one shoulder.  For longer carries (over an hour) a mei tai or wrap would be more comfortable.  During pregnancy you can tie under or over your belly however, given your build, I'm guessing that wouldn't be comfortable for you - maybe?  However, once baby is born you could definitely use a mei tai or wrap for both your toddler and your newborn.  And if you can get one of your children on your back it would leave your arms and hands free for the second child.

    (Oh, and I don't think a structured carrier like an Ergo or Patapum would fit you either.)

    M'Liss
    • Post Points: 5
  • 02-06-2007 10:05 AM In reply to

    • Elizabeth
    • Joined on 11-29-2006
    • Posts 2
    • Points 27

    Re: Don't know how to choose????

    Actually, the Ergo would be perfect for you!
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)