Well, I think with an older/heavier baby you would definitely want a woven over a stretchy wrap. My son was about 24p at a year and is 27 pounds now at 17 months. I love my didy(s) and have loved my storch(es). I also had success with an Ellaroo wrap, but did find that I needed to take greater care in spreading things 'just so', otherwise I'd end up with pressure point soreness.
When you choose a size, you need to take into consideration your body size and what carries you want to do. For example, a wrap front cross carry takes a lot of fabric. A rucksack back carry takes a lot less. I use 4.7m sized wraps and can do everything I want to do. Some of my carries will have longer tails, others not so much.
The Ellaroo is the most economical. And look into the Gypsy Mama BaliBaby batik wovens. Those are really nice.
HTH!
Amy
Amy
Mom to Holland (9), Madelyn (4) and Braeden (17m)