Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

What age to begin?

Last post 01-31-2006, 8:51 AM by cooper. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-20-2006, 6:57 AM 9918

    What age to begin?

    Those of you that homeschool...did you start around Kindergarden time or did you start even earlier? Also, do you follow a more traditional semester schedule or a year round schedule? I plan to homeschool as I myself was homeschooled. My mom followed the school's schedule though. If they were off, we were off. She even followed the hours!!!!Stick out tongue [:P]

     


    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  01-20-2006, 7:16 AM 9923 in reply to 9918

    Re: What age to begin?

    I have done age appropiate activities with my children from birth on. There is a great book call "Games babies play" that goes through some fun activities you can do with a baby. I also think doing enriching activities with your preschoolers is fun. I plan daily art project with my kids. I just let them explore different media. We don't make a spider for example, we focus on the process and I give them different types of media to explore with. We do playdough, table activites with small manipulatives. My daughter is 7 and I am more structured with her.

    We don't homeschool officially, but I think doing activities with you children is great!
    Beth
  •  01-20-2006, 4:23 PM 9959 in reply to 9923

    Re: What age to begin?

    I second the book, Games babies play. It is great! It is very developmentally appropriate for your little one. We have found the suggestions Jayna loves!
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
  •  01-22-2006, 9:11 PM 10191 in reply to 9918

    Re: What age to begin?

    My two oldest attend school and have done so since age 5 1/2 - 6.

    Before that, I taught them as they began showing interest for different subjects. DD was always VERY interested in arts, stories and music, whereas DS was always very interested in learning letter and words as well as science and Math. I did not have any schedule or anything like that because they were so small, but I always tried to be available whenever they had questions and tried to find as much material about the topic available as I could find.

    I sometimes wonder if I would be able to doserious and structured homechooling, but right now they go to a very good and small school where they get almost individual attention. Maybe if I can't find good schools when we move... Homeschooling is very fun and a great opportunity for you to get to really know your children Smile [:)]  It does take discipline and organization though, so that's why I have not jumped into it --- yet...

    Poliana
    SAHM to 4 wonderful kidos
  •  01-30-2006, 2:18 AM 10989 in reply to 9918

    Re: What age to begin?

    If you're asking did I do a "formal" preschool program-then no. Kids should learn thru play and by their interests IMO until they are at least 5 or 6 (and even after that too w/ more specific lessons added in). The only structured thing I did was finding specific books or activties on a certain topic they were interested in like sea otters and bats. We did TONS of reading though-still do. 

    Now that my son is in 1st grade we have some specific programs for reading, math and grammer but still only do about 1.5hrs of "formal" work a day. The rest is free reading and interest based. We're getting more ecclectic as we go.

    We learn yr round too-we may take a week off here and there as needed.


    Ann, Full-time mama of 2 crazy kids and a sling'n toddler
  •  01-30-2006, 2:20 AM 10990 in reply to 10989

    Re: What age to begin?

    I forgot to add that that it's certainly based on each child as well. My 4yr old is asking to learn her letters so we've been pointing them out as we read and since she is asking for "schoolwork" I've given her some prewriting worksheets and mazes. But I never push it-if she does it for 5 min or an hour-I let her lead the process for now.
    Ann, Full-time mama of 2 crazy kids and a sling'n toddler
  •  01-31-2006, 8:51 AM 11107 in reply to 9918

    Re: What age to begin?

    My situation is a bit different-- I homeschooled my girls till it was time for public school. I knew that I could never give them the kind of education that they needed and DD craved other kids- I am just too lazy! BUT I did create a homeschool environment ( with supplies-- gosh :)  I loved homeschool shopping) year round-- there was always an OP to learn! They could both read and had  the basic math skills down (though our school does Everyday math-- which I am not fond) GRRRRRRR so I do still homeschool some trying to teach both methods of math skills upon entering preschool SO I think my plan was successful :) and both are "a" students.   I started around age 2.5 and just created a master plan.

    Not sure if this helps just added my 2 cents :)

     

View as RSS news feed in XML