in

Rude pregnant comments....

Last post 08-09-2006, 11:17 PM by diana. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-02-2006, 1:34 PM 17927

    Rude pregnant comments....

    So, with about 5-6 weeks left to go and a bump out to there....I thought it would be fun to tell any listening parties what I have heard while pregnant.

    "Wow, are you sure you're only 6 months?  Could it be possible you are carrying twins?"

    "You look smaller than you did when you were pregnant with Brady, are you taking care of yourself?"
    Granted, the first part of this last statement sounds like it could be a compliment, but the second part implies that I sat around like a lazy bum the first time I was pregnant.

    "I think I will stand next to you so I can feel thin today."

    "Are you sure it isn't twins?"

    So, pregnant mamas....I invite you to trump me!  Any rude or ridiculous comments you would like to share?

    Angie

    Mom to Brady (4.04) and another little bun in the oven EDD 9.14.06

    Attached to Baby Customer Service
  •  08-02-2006, 2:41 PM 17929 in reply to 17927

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    The one I hate the most is. If they don't know "Are you pregnant again?" With a very odd look on their face.

    When people ask my due date. I tell them, their eyes pop out and say you have a long way to go. I always want to say "so you think I'm fat?" or "thanks for the rude comment", or "you think I have a big belly, well I think you have a big mouth".

    What else have you heard?
    Beth
  •  08-02-2006, 4:04 PM 17931 in reply to 17929

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    Well, amazingly, I made it through my pregnancy without any rude comments.  I didn't have a very large belly and due to sickness and lack of appetite I actually ended up weighing the same the day I had my DD as I did the day that I found out I was pregnant.  So, I got the opposite.  I heard, "you aren't really about to have a baby soon are you?  You aren't big enough yet."  However, I was a little on the heavy side when I got pregnant (size 14-16) so, when I first started showing, people would tell me that it didn't look like I was pregnant yet, which bothered me because I had actually lost weight and what they were seeing was then baby.  So, it was kind of like, geez, thanks guys, I knew I had on some extra weight, but you don't need to point it out like that. 

    A girl that I worked with was pregnant at the same time and her belly was a pretty good size right there at the end.  In fact, she was quite miserable the last month or so.  Any time that she and I would be walking somewhere she ALWAYS got people asking her when she was due, if she was sure it wasn't twins and telling her that she looked like she was about to pop, or telling her she looked like she was about to drop that baby any day...as if she were a chicken about to drop an egg!  It made her SO mad.  It offended me and I wasn't even the one they were saying it to.  I guess maybe people are just trying to make conversation, but HELLO can't we find a nicer way to do it??  Do these people REALLY not see how rude they are being?  If so, oh boy, what is this world coming to??

    Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker


    Melissa
    Mom to Emma (2/25/06)
  •  08-02-2006, 6:20 PM 17935 in reply to 17929

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    haakadoodle:
    The one I hate the most is. If they don't know "Are you pregnant again?" With a very odd look on their face. When people ask my due date. I tell them, their eyes pop out and say you have a long way to go. I always want to say "so you think I'm fat?" or "thanks for the rude comment", or "you think I have a big belly, well I think you have a big mouth". What else have you heard? Beth


    Let's see some of the other classics:
    "Oh my, you get bigger and bigger everyday!"

    "You're wearing maternity clothes ALREADY, isn't that soon?"

    After I say my due date "Are you going to make it until then?"  I have also gotten the "wow, you've got a long time to go" comment followed by "seems like you've been pregnant a long time!"

    "How much weight have you gained?"

    "I thought you were pregnant, either that or thought you gained weight"

    Some of the comments have been from the ILs so it gets a little frustrating given the fact I am the smallest daughter in law yet had the very biggest baby.  What can you do about it though, other than get a nice gift or two for yourself?  Wink [;)]

    Angie

    Mom to Brady (4.04) and another little bun in the oven EDD 9.14.06

    Attached to Baby Customer Service
  •  08-02-2006, 6:24 PM 17936 in reply to 17935

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    Oh, and while I am here on my soapbox, since when is it okay to comment on a growing belly but NOT okay to say something to someone who has failed to lose her baby weight.  It's not like anyone would dare say "When are you going to get back to your prepregnancy size?" Confused [8-)]

    Angie

    Mom to Brady (4.04) and another little bun in the oven EDD 9.14.06

    Attached to Baby Customer Service
  •  08-02-2006, 7:36 PM 17940 in reply to 17936

    Stick out tongue [:P] Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    Yeah, if a woman has gained a good bit of weight or has a really large belly while pregnant, it's not like we need someone to point that out to us.  For goodness sakes, we are the ones walking around with it.  Maybe we should just start commenting on how large their rear is getting or something like that and see how they take to that. 
    Melissa
    Mom to Emma (2/25/06)
  •  08-03-2006, 5:25 PM 17956 in reply to 17940

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    I had one of those "Are you sure it's not twins?" comments. Zip it! [:#]

    Blythe
    Mom to Luke & Karli
  •  08-07-2006, 9:22 AM 17994 in reply to 17956

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    OK.. I can top all of you.. LOL

    With my first pregnancy I was hoping it would be a girl but we didn't know yet if it was a girl or a boy.  A coworker told me I had better not hope for a girl in case it was a boy.. If I was hoping for a girl then my baby boy would grow up gay.

    Huh? [:^)]

     

    Yeah, so I wasn't really sure how to respond to it... So I just walked away from her.

  •  08-09-2006, 5:07 PM 18090 in reply to 17994

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    I haven't gotten rude comments during this pregnancy, but I got plenty last one. Most of it was inthe form of unwanted and unsolicited  advice. The ruddest comment I got was from one of my husbands co-workers who made fun of the way I walked. My funny walk didn't come from having a belly, but from having had a surgery 2 weeks before in which the mad the incision in the groin. I mean, anybody is going to walk funny in that situation. It was hurtful because he knew about the surgery (and how scary it had been) and he wasn't sensitive enough to make the connection.

    Diana


    Diana

    Mama to Andrés, born 07/07/04
  •  08-09-2006, 8:11 PM 18097 in reply to 18090

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    That is terrible Diana.  Some people just don't think.  I'm sorry you had to have surgery during yoru pregnancy - how scary. 
    I hope this one is going smoothly!

    I was at BRU and a guy said "Holy S***".  And then proceeded to apologize all over the place.  I thought it was pretty funny because whenever I looked at myself in the mirror that is exactly what I thought. 
  •  08-09-2006, 11:17 PM 18101 in reply to 18097

    Re: Rude pregnant comments....

    Thanks! Yes it was scary.

    Why did the guysay that, were you huge? At least he apologized.

    I was thinking today about this thread because today someone was IMO so nosy today that it qualifies as the ultimate rudeness. This person told me (almost ordered me) to "go get an amnio" (because of my age). I explained that I didn't like the risks and she told me "don't be chicken, it doesn't hurt". I'm sure it hurts less than her stupid comment.

    ChristinaLucia:
    That is terrible Diana.  Some people just don't think.  I'm sorry you had to have surgery during yoru pregnancy - how scary. 
    I hope this one is going smoothly!

    I was at BRU and a guy said "Holy S***".  And then proceeded to apologize all over the place.  I thought it was pretty funny because whenever I looked at myself in the mirror that is exactly what I thought. 


    Diana

    Mama to Andrés, born 07/07/04
View as RSS news feed in XML