Attached to Baby - Home

Attached to Baby

Babywearing and natural parenting community
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

A sad attachment story

Last post 04-14-2006, 10:56 PM by i0lanthe. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-09-2006, 12:36 AM 14363

    A sad attachment story

    Yesterday I went to a local retailer who specializes in baby bedding to check out her diaper bags (I was also in there the day before to check them out too) and both times she made comments about how comfy my ds looked in his "carrier" and how happy and content he seemed.  Then, when she was checking me out she popped the question, "Um...is he, like, super attached to you?  Like, does he look for you when you aren't around and cry for you when he can't see you?"  So I say, "Yes, of course...he's a baby."

    She gave me the 'poor woman' look with a furrowed brow and a shake of the head.  Geez!

    I gave her an even more 'poor woman' look back and then felt even worse for her children.  I just can't believe she thinks that being attached is so awful...but I guess my type doesn't do much for her business of selling 1000s of dollars worth of cribs, bedding, and "attachment" blankies.

    Just had to vent.  Posted here because I'm sure she asked since ds was so happy in his Didymos (not a "carrier" woman....get with the program!).

    Susan~Wife to Andrew; Mama to a grown up sling boy, Atticus, and a little wrapped love, Creeley
  •  04-09-2006, 2:18 AM 14370 in reply to 14363

    Re: A sad attachment story

    Yes, I get that alot too. I usually just feel sad that they felt they had to be so distant from their children. Why have kids then, you know?
    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  04-09-2006, 7:13 PM 14445 in reply to 14363

    Re: A sad attachment story

    Ugh! The question I used to get is, "Does she only fall asleep if you're carrying her?" with that tsk tsk tone behind it. Whatever!

    Blythe
    Mom to Luke & Karli
  •  04-09-2006, 8:23 PM 14450 in reply to 14445

    Re: A sad attachment story

     
    Whenever I go out with my baby in a wrap or carrier, I get lots of comments and stares. Mostly mamas ask what I'm using and comment that it looks so comfy (yes, it is!). Others say things like how cute ds looks all wrapped up "like a papoose" or some such thing. One woman today said, wow, looks comfy to be carried like that! The only negative feedback I get is from my mom! But she always kept us at arms length, and I'm sure that the stroller was my home for years.
    I am proud to be wearing my baby, and I love the fact that people are tuned in and receptive to what I'm doing, and ds makes friends wherever we go as he is at eye level with everyone we encounter. My boss says she can't believe how friendly he is--I think it's 'cause he sees the world from the perspective of an adult, cocooned safely near his mom, and can react without fear because he feels me right there beside him and knows he is safe in my arms--or my carrier, or wrap!!!

    Stacy, mama to Diego Mason (10-20-06)
  •  04-14-2006, 7:05 PM 14668 in reply to 14450

    Re: A sad attachment story

    My attached baby is a happy baby. My son was attached and so it my daughter. They are happy well adjusted and amazing kids.
    I am sorry and sad when I hear a baby cry and a parent ignores them. Very sad indeed

    Proud mother of Gabriel 4/23/02 and Rebecca 5/13/05

    ATB Live Chat Customer Service
  •  04-14-2006, 10:56 PM 14696 in reply to 14363

    Re: A sad attachment story

    mamachanse:
    Then, when she was checking me out she popped the question, "Um...is he, like, super attached to you?  Like, does he look for you when you aren't around and cry for you when he can't see you?" 

    Angry [:@]  Maybe it's just that I've been reading a few more autism & developmental disorder books than is really healthy for a parent, but good grief it would really freak me out now if I had a baby that never missed me or that truly preferred being alone.  And yet it seems like that is some people's *ideal*.  sigh.

    mom to DS (march 2003) and DD (may 2005)
View as RSS news feed in XML