We are still trying to find what works best, too.
I have been wetting wipes on an as needed basis with water. I tried a wipee warmer with wipes and water/baby shampoo concoction, but they were really stinky--something in the warmer I think. So back to just water when we need it. Tried the spray bottle too, boys didn't like cold on their little tushies!
As for washing, I like to throw in the diapers at bedtime. They usually make it for a round in the dryer and I can fold in the morning. We do have enough dipes that we don't have to wash everyday, but found it helps control odors so much more. We also found with two kids in diapers, we have enough diapers for a load sooner, so I would rather wash before I NEED clean ones.
As for the solidify poop, still waiting here. DS2 is still nursing, don't know if that is making them soft or what. Rarely have "shakeable" poops at our house!! Chase has been starting to use the potty and they are solid in the potty. So maybe it is just because they are instantly mooshed in the diaper!
Stacy :)
Mom to Garrett-2.23.01- and Chase-9.30.03- and Aiden-3.15.06