Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Shop Forums Photos Blogs

9 week old too big for hotsling?

Last post 01-28-2006, 9:38 PM by meg731. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-24-2006, 6:31 PM 10437

    9 week old too big for hotsling?

    Hi, my 9 week old ds is 231/2 inches and 13.5 lbs.  He squirms and complains whenever I put him in my hotsling. I really want to wear him at home but he grunts and complains about it. I can tell he's trying to stretch out. Sometimes when we are out he will let me put him in the kangaroo carry. But even then he is really squished. He loved it when he was a newborn and so I  am wondering if he outgrew it or just doesn't want to be in a sling period. He's never liked to be swaddled either so maybe a mei tai would be better. Are there some babies who slings or pouches just don't work for? What should I do?

    Thanks in advance...
    Jennifer

  •  01-24-2006, 7:23 PM 10447 in reply to 10437

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    Have you tried other postitions? The kangaroo carry is good, but if he doesn't like it. He may be too short for the hip carry? A mei tai would give him more room to stretch out. Have you tried the snuggle hold? He may also like his legs sticking out in the snuggle hold. Does anyone have a picture of this?
    Beth
  •  01-24-2006, 9:10 PM 10455 in reply to 10447

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    I had this same problem, I just wore him tummy to tummy (like a hip carry only in the front) with my Hotsling. But I think Beth is right, a Mei Tai would be so much better in until he can do a hip carry.

     


    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  01-24-2006, 11:43 PM 10476 in reply to 10437

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    I might try a Mei Tai if I were you.

    I know that with pouches there was an uncomfortable period around the 2-3 months where we didn't lreally ike kangaroo and she didn't want to be in cradle anymore. But eventually we moved to hip position and now she loves it. But she is a total sling baby, she loves to be in any carrier as long as someone is wearing her, hehe.


    Angela
    Mama to Satori (11/04)
  •  01-25-2006, 10:17 AM 10512 in reply to 10476

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    I mei tai will open it up a little bit and allow his feet to be more free. You can also try a cuddle carry with the pouch and have his feet free. Goodluck!

    Kristine
    Mommy of Joscelyne, Andrew and Mackenzie
    Owner of www.BabySpaceSlings.com
  •  01-25-2006, 3:42 PM 10572 in reply to 10437

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    Just wondering exactly how to do tummy to tummy or cuddle hold? I tried something like that but he seemed kind of unstable. He liked it though. I think I'm going to order the ella roo sling (I think that's the name) and either a mei tai or baby bjorn. I liked the mai tei until I realized I can't sit him forward facing out.
    Jennifer

  •  01-25-2006, 5:23 PM 10582 in reply to 10572

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    You can sit them out forward with a Mei tai! You can fold their legs so they are crossed and set them in or just have their legs hang out. I recommend the Tummy2Tummy video. There are so many ways to wear a baby with a Mei Tai it blew my mind!
    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
  •  01-27-2006, 7:56 PM 10786 in reply to 10437

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    We went through this, too.  DD got to the point where she really wanted to see out about then.  She did not like (or maybe I never got good at?) the T2T position with the pouch.  I really started using the MT a lot at this point.  I also ended up using kind of a modified cradle position where she was kind of sitting up and looking out a bit.  She is 4 months now and loves the kangaroo carry.  She loves to look around at everything.

    Dorothy
  •  01-28-2006, 9:38 PM 10872 in reply to 10786

    Re: 9 week old too big for hotsling?

    I went thru an awkward BW time right at 3 mos, I was a pouch only girl and I bought 2 MTs and that was not the answer. It was a particularly awkward MT phase, IMHO. 

    We wore pouches comfortable thru 4 mos in a sitting up cradle, and I have a relatively large baby. We never really did kangaroo.  I would just put the seam of the pouch on with the seam way over toward the side of your body (the one with the shoulder wearing the pouch)  Then line up the baby's butt with the seam and there is plenty of room for his legs to spread across your body inside the pouch and his head can be pretty much all the way out with him sitting straight up.

    I switched to an RS when pouches got too small to put a baby all the way inside.  They are much easier to do a hip carry and in my Oopa I can make a pouch big enough to put my 6 month old all the way in like he used to sit in the pouch. 

     


    Meg

    Shop At Home Mom to
    Nicholas (10/12/00)
    Lexi (5/3/02)
    my sweet baby Luke (8/1/05)
View as RSS news feed in XML