Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Shop Forums Photos Blogs

Eating books!

Last post 01-28-2006, 11:27 PM by rocketbuttmama. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-27-2006, 9:55 AM 10735

    Eating books!

    My DD is 17 months old and she still eats her books and almost anything else she can get her hands on that isn't supposed to be eaten. She has just destroyed yet another board book. This is so frustrating. I'll give her a book and she'll turn the pages and talk to it and I'll go to the kitchen to clean up and the next thing I know her book is torn to pieces. I don't feel any teeth coming in at the moment so I have no idea why she keeps doing this. She'll even bite up her plastic books. I keep giving her the benefit of the doubt that she won't destroy every book she owns. Some days she's so good and won't eat them and other days she just goes to town on them!

    Does this end sometime soon? My mom suggested I start giving DD crayons since she's at the age where she can start coloring. However my kid would and has tried eating crayons too!

    Please tell me I'm not the only one with a DC with a book eating habit!

     

    Kristen

  •  01-27-2006, 9:59 AM 10736 in reply to 10735

    Re: Eating books!

    My DS has just discovered the joys of extra fiber (as well as artificial coloring) that can be attained by munching on board books.

    He's 9.5 months old.  The doctor said we'll probably have to watch him closely with books for another year or so. Surprise [:O]


    Crystal, mama to Nicholas 04/05
  •  01-27-2006, 4:30 PM 10747 in reply to 10735

    Re: Eating books!

    DS1 ate books for a long time.  He had a pacifier too, which curbed some of his eating habits.  DS2, at 8 months, puts every darned thing in his mouth (except a pacifier).  And his pincher grasp has been proficient for a very long time.  It totally sucks, especially in a  small house with a now 3.5yo who isn't always good about putting things away!  I refreshed my infant/child CPR just in case.

    You're not alone!


    Kristin
  •  01-27-2006, 5:52 PM 10762 in reply to 10747

    Re: Eating books!

    I swear my dd has a mini library in her tummy! She's constantly eating the corners of her books Embarrassed [:$]

     

    Giselle


    Giselle
    Wife to Bora, SAHM to Lora (01-22-05)
  •  01-27-2006, 6:04 PM 10769 in reply to 10762

    Re: Eating books!

    my dd is 2 and eating dirt books anything she can my shirts  i have no clue how to stop it i was worried she had a difficiency so i had her doc test her nope she just likes to eat stuff
    Jade sahm gypsie momma to sophia divina (1 mo) olivia ani (2YRS) philisha nyjan(6 YRS)
  •  01-27-2006, 7:54 PM 10785 in reply to 10769

    Re: Eating books!

    Well it's good to know DD isn't the only book eater out there! I was starting to think she was an oddball!

     

  •  01-28-2006, 11:27 PM 10894 in reply to 10735

    Re: Eating books!

    My DS is 15 months and eats everything in sight too, except food, of course. He loooves to munch on books. I've read it's not the best thing as there can be bad things in the inks, but I can't seem to stop him. We buy the $1 board books on sale at B&N (or where ever) and keep those at his level where he can seek and destroy. Then the ones we want to actually read we keep elsewhere. Not that he lets us read to him either, but that's another story.....

    Carrie
    Nathan's Mama, 10/22/04
View as RSS news feed in XML