in

Attached to Baby

Baby Sling, Babywearing Shop and Community

Best wrap??

Last post 08-19-2006 8:40 PM by elvishlucky. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-04-2006 11:31 AM

    Best wrap??

    Oh, the more I look at this site the more I want one of all the types of carriers!  I can see how this becomes addictive.  I currently have a Hotsling and am looking into ordering a RS also (I have another post out trying to get more info on the best type of RS, but feel free to offer any advice on that here, tooSmile [:)]).  I think I would also like to try a wrap carrier.  I am looking for input on the best wrap for the money.  OH, and another question...are Baby Bjorn carriers not good for babies?  Confused [8-)]
    Thanks for the help!!

    Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
    Melissa
    Mom to Emma (2/25/06) and Wife to Michael (5/15/04)
    • Post Points: 22
  • 08-04-2006 6:49 PM In reply to

    • lilsprstr
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-17-2005
    • Arizona
    • Posts 194
    • Points 2,370

    Re: Best wrap??

    I think most people here will say that a German Woven Wrap is the best kind of wrap to get. Didymos, and Storchenwiege are most popular. I have an Easycare that I love as well. It also depends on the age of your baby. Stretchy wraps are probably the best to start with if you have an infant, but become more uncomfortable with toddlers. I've heard Mobys are good beginning wraps, and from experience I think Hot Mamas are as well. (http://hyenacart.com/momandmecreations/index.php?c=9) Good luck!

    There is also some research that suggests that Baby Bjorns are not supposed to be good support for babies spine I think. Does someone want to help me out here? I'm sure someone's got a link.
    Blythe
    Mom to Luke & Karli
    • Post Points: 22
  • 08-05-2006 9:38 PM In reply to

    Re: Best wrap??

    Those are all great options from what I've heard.  I've tried Didymos, Storchenwiege, and Easycare (even with a 3 year old they are great), as well as Gypsy Mama BaliBaby Breeze (super lightweight fabric great for summer, needs more care to achieve comfort with a heavy child in my experience) and Ellaroo (intermediate in thickness & comfort).  I started late and never really did the stretchy wraps so just going by word of mouth there.  :)

    The most compelling argument against Bjorns (strictly IMO) is that, comfortwise, I'm told, they are outgrown so fast compared to a wrap, mei tai, or even stretchy wrap or ring sling or pouch.  Thus, better to invest in something that will be comfy for mom & babe much longer.
    mom to DS (march 2003) and DD (may 2005)
    • Post Points: 22
  • 08-19-2006 11:34 AM In reply to

    • diana
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2005
    • Mexico
    • Posts 30
    • Points 422

    Re: Best wrap??

    About the  baby bjorn, they are less comfy than any other carrier. I would get more tired carrying my 7 month old with a bjorn than I get carrying my 2 year old in an ergo. And then your legs bump into theirs and walking uphill or climbing stairs is nearly impossible. And they are too expensive for the small amount of time you can use them.
    Diana

    Mama to Andrés, born 07/07/04
    • Post Points: 22
  • 08-19-2006 8:40 PM In reply to

    Re: Best wrap??

    ITA with the previous wrap suggestions, but wanted to add one: a GypsyMama Bali Baby Breeze gauze wrap.  They're great for summer, very forgiving for a beginning wrapper, and a little less expensive than a German woven wrap.

    However, if you're looking for more bang for your buck, a GSW is more expensive but will also be more supportive when your child is a heavy toddler.
    Crystal, mama to Nicholas 04/05
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
© 2005-2007 Attached to Baby, Inc.
Powered by Community Server (Non-Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems