in

Attached to Baby

Baby Sling, Babywearing Shop and Community

Vaccinations?

Last post 05-05-2006 11:54 PM by blessedw/4. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2006 9:53 PM

    • Cicismom
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-12-2006
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 15
    • Points 245

    Vaccinations?

    I have DD's two month checkup next Monday and am really nervous about the vaccinations.  I was wondering how other mamas are dealing with this. 
    Christina
    Mom to Cici 3/3/06
    and to the Standard Poodle Lilly
    • Post Points: 56
  • 04-27-2006 12:02 AM In reply to

    • lilsprstr
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-17-2005
    • Arizona
    • Posts 194
    • Points 2,370

    Re: Vaccinations?

    My kids have always been vaxed on schedule. I have a friend who only allows two vaccinations per visit, so her dd is somewhat behind. DO what you feel comfortable with. Good luck with your decision. Try not to stress about it too much.
    Blythe
    Mom to Luke & Karli
    • Post Points: 22
  • 04-29-2006 12:01 PM In reply to

    • melamomma
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 01-26-2006
    • Farmington, MN
    • Posts 144
    • Points 2,026

    Re: Vaccinations?

    Wow, this is such a touchy subject these days!

    We struggle with this at our house too.  Making the decision about how to proceed is really tough.  You should do what feels right for your family.  Ultimately, you are the one that has to be able to live with your decision, and you can always change it along the way!  My recommendation is to do A LOT of research so you are making an informed decision.  There are plenty of websites that give accurate information on all sides of the issues.

    Good luck to you!

    Stacy :)
    Mom to Garrett-2.23.01- and Chase-9.30.03- and Aiden-3.15.06
    • Post Points: 5
  • 04-29-2006 4:07 PM In reply to

    Re: Vaccinations?

    We vaxed on schedule too... the only one I question myself on is the chickenpox vax at 1 year... not sure if I'll do that one with the next. We don't have any family history of issues with vaccines so I wasn't too worried about it (I worry a little about pretty much everything).  I've heard of people vaxing on a delayed schedule as well. 

    If you do vax, it helps to have your breast or bottle (or pacifier) ready for them right after the shot, that is really soothing for them. I can't remember if  you can give them tylenol at that age, call the ped ahead of time & find out if it's ok to give tylenol a little before the shot, that helps with the afterpains.
    • Post Points: 22
  • 04-30-2006 7:47 PM In reply to

    • Cicismom
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-12-2006
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 15
    • Points 245

    Re: Vaccinations?

    Thank you for your replies.  I think I am going to hold off on vax now - I need to do more research.
    Christina
    Mom to Cici 3/3/06
    and to the Standard Poodle Lilly
    • Post Points: 39
  • 05-01-2006 8:37 PM In reply to

    Re: Vaccinations?

    Christina~

    Just wanted to tell you that holding off is probably  a smart choice ... gather all the info you need to make the best choice for your family.  Our oldest dd is fully vaccinated, I never really felt the need to check into stuff then.  And she has been just fine, healthy, never a reaction.  But with our ds#2 I just felt so uneasy ... we started out on schedule but then he spiked high fevers and got this rash of welts ... poor little guy.  So we slowed down to just one vaccine every 6 months (recommended by our Dr.)  because of this we did decide to not get certain vaccines at all... Hib, Heb B, and chicken pox.  His polio and Dtap and MMR we have continued that way.  Then ds#3 came along all was fine on the "one at a time" idea until he turned 3 and we got another Dtap ....  sever allergic reaction ... luckily it stayed fairly localized to his leg, but his whole thigh swelled up to 3 times the size of the other one, to the point that his skin was spliting.  Ouch!  So his Dr. now recommends we stop vaccinating him.  Our baby #4 is only 7 mos. old, and still trying to decide what we'll do with him, but I'm leaning towards just Dtap and polio when he is a bit older, like maybe two!

    If you are uneasy at all, I've learned you need to listen to your mothering instincts.  And then gather your information!  Ahhhh.... parenting .... full of joys, right?

    Blessings~ Heather

    mama to Mikayla (9-7-95), Gus (9-17-98),
    Owen (2-27-02) & Ezekiel (9-14-05)

    married to Allen (7-17-03)
    • Post Points: 5
  • 05-04-2006 9:59 PM In reply to

    Re: Vaccinations?

    I think I'm out numbered in my opinion on this but I did have my son vaxed. And I will all future children. More people are not doing it and now this stuff that wasn't around for years is starting to spread...like polio. That can cripple a child for life. But a simple vax will ensure you never have to worry. It's so great that people live longer and longer these days because we have things like vaccines.

    Ann

    Mommy to Logan 8-25-05
    • Post Points: 22
  • 05-04-2006 10:25 PM In reply to

    • jenn_mommy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-24-2006
    • Oklahoma
    • Posts 4
    • Points 54

    Re: Vaccinations?

    Well I'm one that doesn't vaccinate at all. Like the previous posters do your homework :) Good luck in your choices. One you do it you can't undo them:)

     

    Jennifer
    Mama to 3 little boys!
    Jared 6/01, Dylan 2/04 & Kyle 11/05
    • Post Points: 22
  • 05-04-2006 10:40 PM In reply to

    Re: Vaccinations?

    I also vax, but my doctor is great, we delay certian vaxes, and he also feels it is important to spread them out. I think its important to educate yourself. I have and chose to vax. THe only one we have not decided on is the chicken pox vax, but I think we will opt out on that. We have chosen to vax otherwise on a somewhat delayed schedule.
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
    • Post Points: 5
  • 05-05-2006 11:54 PM In reply to

    Re: Vaccinations?

    jenn_mommy:

    Like the previous posters do your homework :) Good luck in your choices. Once you do it you can't undo them:)

     

    Yep ... read up from both sides ... look at research, not just the pamphlets from the makers of the vaccines (they are trying to sell them).  And if you check up on all cases of polio in the last 17 or so years in the US, many are what they consider vaccine induced ... a vaccine made with a live culture that can actually cause polio.  They are trying to do away with these, but its a slow process.

    I guess we are some of the rare "middle of the roaders" Smile [:)]  We have done different things with each child ... but then they have each presented different needs.  So we have one totally vaccinated, one totally not vaccinated, and two inbetween.  My other caution would be watch for reactions ... once they have a "smaller" or lesser reaction  the next time can be sever.   Which is what happened to our 3 year old.

    I stick to the old LLL saying "you know your child best ... do what is right for YOUR family & I'll do whats right for MY family"  For some of us vaccinating is whats best, for others its not .....

    Blessings~ Heather

    mama to Mikayla (9-7-95), Gus (9-17-98),
    Owen (2-27-02) & Ezekiel (9-14-05)

    married to Allen (7-17-03)
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
© 2005-2007 Attached to Baby, Inc.