Baby Sling, Babywearing Shop and Community
in

Moby too stretchy?

Last post 01-09-2007 5:03 PM by mliss. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2007 7:50 PM

    • cailinvet
    • Joined on 01-09-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 44

    Moby too stretchy?

    Hello,

    I tried a New Native first and found the fabric sat at just one point on my shoulder and was not comfortable, plus my newborn was lost in it even with the support pillow. I then was eyeing the moby wrap so got the Ultimate baby wrap which is similar but was at bab's r us so easier to return. This is the same as the moby though I find it too stretchy for the cradle carry. I make it SO tight and start with top of baby's head just above my shoulder and within 5 minutes he's sunk into a horizontal position with his back at my belly button. He also sinks in the tummy to tummy position though it is still comfortable though any advice on keeping him higher that way as well would be helpful. I was going to order a moby D but with the trouble I'm having I may go with a non stretchy wrap instead assuming the moby is as stretchy as the ultimate baby wrap (though I do love how comfortable it is in my shoulders.) I did pick up a nojo at a yard sale and find that to be the most comfortable for him and me in the cradle position short term but not for me long term though he is happy ( he sits a little low and my shoulder does get sore) compared to the moby type in tummy to tummy which I can wear for hours. I also tried the hotsling but couln't get him comfortable in it either.

    So, does anyone know if the moby is as stretchy as the UBW? General advice for using moby? General advice for cradle position carriers?

     Thanks!

    Cailin
     

    • Post Points: 22
  • 01-08-2007 9:13 PM In reply to

    • mliss

    • Joined on 01-20-2006
    • Posts 20
    • Points 168

    Re: Moby too stretchy?

    The Moby is definitely NOT as stretchy as the UBW.  The Moby fabric is thicker and much more supportive than the thin, floppy fabric used to make the UBW.  That said, most quality stretchy wraps are useful to around 20 pounds, at which point they start to sag a bit too much to be comfortable. You should still be able to use a Moby if your baby is a newborn.  The other option is a stretchy hybrid like the Gypsy Mama BaliBaby Stretch.  The Gypsy Mama is not quite as stretchy as a Moby, but still poppable, would be useful for over 20 pounds and feels oh, so soft and lightweight - perfect newborn fabric.  If you are looking to buy only one wrap that will last until your baby is 5 years old try a German Style Woven (GSW) like a Didymos or Storchenweige.  I know it looks like a lot of money for a long piece of fabric but a GSW can be crazy comfortable and no sagging.  (I had my 4 year old in a front carry during dinner tonight.)

    Also, what exactly was the problem with the Hotsling?  Positioning can be tricky but the Hotsling should be more comfortable for you and baby than the Nojo or New Native.  Was baby too squashed?  Pouch too big?  (If you use the manufacturer's sizing charts it should be a lot smaller than your New Native.)

    M'Liss
    • Post Points: 5
  • 01-09-2007 11:40 AM In reply to

    • cailinvet
    • Joined on 01-09-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 44

    Re: Moby too stretchy?

    Thanks M'Liss for your input - I will consider the moby since it is less likely to sag then the UBW. Another question - what is the difference between the hotsling and peanut shell. There is a store near me that has peanut shells so I can go try it on and have someone help me but with the hotsling I was o my own. I found that the fabric was sliding off my shoulder and my baby's head was kinked funny. I got a size 3. I'm 5' 4 and prebaby was 120 though at the moment I'm 135. Usually c cup but c/d at the moment. Michael is 6 weeks old. Maybe I had the wrong size?

    Thanks!
    Cailin
    • Post Points: 22
  • 01-09-2007 5:03 PM In reply to

    • mliss

    • Joined on 01-20-2006
    • Posts 20
    • Points 168

    Re: Moby too stretchy?

    Cailin, sounds like your Hotsling is probably a bit too big and, in my opinion, a size 2 would probably be a better fit.  You could try shrinking your Hotsling - if it is a single layer and not reversible.  With the pouch folded measure the top and bottom, then wash in hot and remeasure.  If the pouch hasn't shrunk much then do about 5 - 10 minutes in the dryer and remeasure.  You'll probably want to shrink the pouch about an 1" or maybe a tiny bit more.  Also, if you have specific questions about the fabric and shrinkage email Customer Service at Hotslings for tips.

    If baby's head was kinked funny and you need some help with positioning please go to www.thebabywearer.com and look at the "Correct Positioning" article.  Here is the link: www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowTo/Positioning.pdf

    However, all this information is not intended to discourage you from trying a Peanut Shell.  If there is a store near you that carries them by all means go and try some on and see which size fits and how the pouch feels.  Peanut Shell a well-made, comfortable sling and even if you get your Hotsling to work for you having another pouch, like a Peanut Shell, would be terrific.  (I'm a firm believer in multiple carriers so you would have one to wash and one to wear.  Unfortunately your baby will at some point get the stomach flu and you will need more than one baby carrier - believe me you'll be glad to have multiples.)

    M'Liss
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)