Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

Wraps

Last post 06-23-2005, 2:30 AM by angela. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-29-2005, 8:29 PM 1007

    Wraps

    What's the best way to get good?

    I am wrap challenged.


    Amazon Wrap Warrior and Mama to three blue eyed baby slingboys :)
  •  05-29-2005, 8:55 PM 1008 in reply to 1007

    Re: Wraps

    Practice practice practice!!! The HAB video is great! Start with the basic carries then go from there-- get a feel for the cloth and how it feels, the way it drapes.... KWIM? HTH 
  •  05-30-2005, 6:54 PM 1047 in reply to 1008

    Re: Wraps

    I am wrapped challenged also!  I had an EllaRoo wrap and I sold it because I always grabbed my MTs instead of taking the time to practice.  But I really have wanted to learn how to use a wrap, so I just bought a GM off the FSOT board at TBW.  Hopefully, I will learn soon!

     

    Amy

  •  05-30-2005, 8:57 PM 1049 in reply to 1007

    • Tambola is not online. Last active: 08-11-2005, 4:01 PM Tambola
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2005
    • Ohio...is it STILL winter?
    • Posts 112
    • Points 2,035

    Re: Wraps

    try the didymos dvd...i think its great

     

    who am i to give advice, i NEED the advice! but i still like the video! LOL


    Baby boy, Travis
  •  05-30-2005, 10:58 PM 1056 in reply to 1049

    Re: Wraps

    Beate at Children'sneeds.com also has a dvd. I have it, and it was very helpful. I prefer the storchenwiege myself. I have the blue and white Indio and I don't think it is as soft as my storch. Corinna has the steele grey didy and it is much nicer IMO. I really liked my wraps when Haakon was 9 months to about 13months. He liked being on my front but weight close to 30 lbs at the time and I need the support and comfort of a woven wrap. They are so expensive to try, but I justified in my head saying if I did not like them I could sell it. They do have a good resale value. I seriously don't think you will be disapointed. They do take more time than a Mei Tai, but I think they are worth the time.
    Beth
  •  05-31-2005, 12:58 AM 1063 in reply to 1056

    Re: Wraps

    Yep, Beate's DVD totally helped me, as did looking at the peppermint and mamatoto sites. And lots of practicing, but learning just one carry at a time. Also, finding someone nearby who is wrap-savvy really helps - Terri (from TBW) and I got together and she really helped.
  •  06-02-2005, 2:29 AM 1148 in reply to 1063

    Re: Wraps

    I want to get a wrap for my SIL. Anyone have suggestions for a new-to-BW mama that just gave birth to a 31wk baby?  I was thinking that maybe a Moby or something soft like that would be a good choice. All I have is a piece of pretty gauze, but it isn't preemie soft, IMO.

    I'm lending her one of my ring slings that is too long for me, but we can't really share others b/c she's 6'1" and I'm 5'3". And I'm thinking that a MT wouldn't feel very secure with a tiny baby.

    Any advice?  Anyone have something in mind that might work that they're wanting to unload? TIA! Smile [:)]


    Miki,
    Mama to 2 incrediboys, Ian & Aidan
  •  06-02-2005, 8:21 AM 1149 in reply to 1148

    • Tambola is not online. Last active: 08-11-2005, 4:01 PM Tambola
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2005
    • Ohio...is it STILL winter?
    • Posts 112
    • Points 2,035

    Re: Wraps

    I don't have a Moby that I'm ready to part with, but I think that's a great idea! I just got one a couple of weeks ago and it is sooooo soft and I love it! They are great for newborns...some people do still like them for older babies--like me! And  it is really affordable.Smile [:)]

    HTH

    ~~Tammi~~


    Baby boy, Travis
  •  06-02-2005, 8:22 AM 1150 in reply to 1148

    Re: Wraps

    I have a Moby and ds likes to cuddle in it.  It is *very* soft.  Your SIL could do skin-to-skin with it and it's not too pricey!

    Good luck!


    Lois

    Ben and Keegan's Mommy
  •  06-02-2005, 8:33 AM 1153 in reply to 1150

    Re: Wraps

    Miki,

    I just wanted to add, too, that my slingset definitely has a wrap feel, and might be easier for a beginner.   It even LOOKS like my Moby!


    Amazon Wrap Warrior and Mama to three blue eyed baby slingboys :)
  •  06-02-2005, 10:53 AM 1156 in reply to 1153

    Re: Wraps

    Gretchen wrote:

    "It even LOOKS like my Moby!"

    Is that a good thing?

  •  06-02-2005, 11:01 AM 1159 in reply to 1156

    Re: Wraps

    lol.....not REALLY, IMO!  I don't like the way a Moby looks personally....I was just trying to use a reference point for how it would feel/look to other people!  lol!

    My suggestions for her next generation:

    BETTER PRINTS!

    Binding on the edges.


    Amazon Wrap Warrior and Mama to three blue eyed baby slingboys :)
  •  06-03-2005, 1:53 PM 1193 in reply to 1153

    Re: Wraps

     SlingMomEsq wrote:

     Miki,

    I just wanted to add, too, that my slingset definitely has a wrap feel, and might be easier for a beginner.   It even LOOKS like my Moby!

    You know, Gretchen, I was afraid that someone might say that! My only hesitation is that she's a stubborn gal and this is her second baby (didn't wear DS1), and I'd hate to invest a lot in something that she may not use. And because she's so much taller than me, it's not like I'd be able to keep it for myself.  Guess there's always the resale boards...

    And I wanted to add that just this morning over coffee, DH suggested that I get her something simple like a pouch. He says his sis tends to be too lazy to try new things and coupled with having a preemie, she probably wouldn't even touch the wrap, so I should get her something that she can pop the baby into. All this coming from a man who "doesn't do babywearing"! Wink [;)]

    Thanks for the suggestions!


    Miki,
    Mama to 2 incrediboys, Ian & Aidan
  •  06-22-2005, 1:05 PM 1852 in reply to 1056

    Re: Wraps

     haakadoodle wrote:
    Beate at Children'sneeds.com also has a dvd. I have it, and it was very helpful.


    I second the DVD!  I just got it and they demonstrate so many variations of front and back carries.  I pause the DVD step by step to get the hang of some of those carries.

    I got the DVD within 2 days, too.



    Christine
    BWing, CDing, HSing, AP momma to my 2 girls:
    Mikayla (5/98) and Rachel (3/05)
  •  06-22-2005, 5:33 PM 1860 in reply to 1148

    Re: Wraps

    Miki,

    With that teeny tiny premie, your SIL probably won't need a two-shoulder carrier for some time.  I found wraps (still do) so hard, especially when my newborn was screaming to get picked up and I was trying to figure out how to wrap, and wrap.

    So, if it were colder, I'd say try a fleece Hotsling (and I think it's still fine in airconditioning), otherwise, you could just try a Slingset pouch to start, or another Hotsling or a Peanut Shell (which I have NOT tried.  I just saw a stretch jersey Peanut Shell with IRL with a baby in it and it looked SO comfortable.)

    Other than that, I'm always chiming in that I LOVED my Ellaroo Lightly Padded Ring Sling while my baby was little.  I just LOVED it and used it for t2t and cradle and kangaroo.  LOVE.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML