in

Attached to Baby

Baby Sling, Babywearing Shop and Community

carrier for toddler?

Last post 10-10-2006 3:08 PM by Topview. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2006 11:10 AM

    • tayesmom
    • Joined on 10-09-2006
    • Posts 1
    • Points 12

    carrier for toddler?

    Can anyone suggest a good carrier for a small toddler (25lbs)? I tried a hand-me-down sling when he was an infant but he hated it and I haven't tried it again. It was from a thrift store so I don't know if I should trust it to carry him on my hip. I am having problems with my arm so I really need some support to carry him around the house and on trips. I'd like it to last awhile too so he can grow into it more. I live in a hot area of the country so it needs to be breathable too.

    • Post Points: 12
  • 10-10-2006 10:52 AM In reply to

    • mari
    • Joined on 05-05-2005
    • Posts 357
    • Points 2,468

    Re: carrier for toddler?

    There are really a lot of great carriers out there for toddlers!

    For heavier kids I prefer ring slings for quick up and downs and wraps or a structured carrier for periods where the child will be carried longer. I like the Ergo for a structured carrier. I also like the Patapum, but slightly prefer the Ergo to the Patapum (because I have an easier time getting the Ergo on by myself). Wraps are awesome, but can have a higher learning curve and can be a on the warm side. We used to live in Florida and I can tell you from experience any carrier is hot because of the body heat issues, extra fabric, etc...Solarveil and solarweave are available in some carriers (ring slings and mei tais), and they are wonderful and very breatheable fabrics for when it it REALLY hot, but I probably wouldn't use a solarveil or solarweave carrier as my main carrier because I would worry about pressure points with long carries and I would worry about how it would hold up with very, very frequent wear. My suggestion for a good long term carrier for a toddler would be an Ergo or a Wrap.

     Maybe some other mamas can chime in with suggestions Smile

    Mari

    Proud mama to Liam and Chloe
    • Post Points: 24
  • 10-10-2006 3:04 PM In reply to

    • Topview

    • Joined on 10-07-2006
    • Ontario Canada
    • Posts 117
    • Points 620

    Re: carrier for toddler?

    I use ringslings for quick up and downs, https://www.attachedtobaby.com/photos/topview/images/20922/thumb.aspx

    a shortwrap for a rucksack on back:https://www.attachedtobaby.com/photos/topview/images/20971/thumb.aspx

     A mei tai might be a good investment as well (maya tie):https://www.attachedtobaby.com/photos/topview/images/20949/425x319.aspx

     

    Melanie
    4 boys (6, 4, 2, Born June 14)
    Ontario Canada
    • Post Points: 5
  • 10-10-2006 3:08 PM In reply to

    • Topview

    • Joined on 10-07-2006
    • Ontario Canada
    • Posts 117
    • Points 620

    Re: carrier for toddler?

    I like ringslings for quick up and downs:https://www.attachedtobaby.com/photos/topview/images/20922/319x425.aspx

     A short wrap in a ruck sack or rebozo carry (is versitile and does both:https://www.attachedtobaby.com/photos/topview/images/20922/319x425.aspxhttps://www.attachedtobaby.com/photos/topview/images/20661/thumb.aspx

     A mei tai is also a great carrier (maya tie)https://www.attachedtobaby.com/photos/topview/images/20949/425x319.aspx:

    Melanie
    4 boys (6, 4, 2, Born June 14)
    Ontario Canada
    • Post Points: 5
  • 10-11-2006 1:49 AM In reply to

    Re: carrier for toddler?

    I agree with the PP.  I have a 25 lbs toddler and we use the Ergo for longer carries (and the ring sling + mei tais for short momma/baby time).  I also am learning to wrap and am *amazed* at how much more comfy the wrap is to the Ergo.  If you have the patience and the interest, I say try a wrap :)
    happy california mom to 18 month old baby girl.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
© 2005-2007 Attached to Baby, Inc.