The Road to Wraps

  •  04-06-2006, 5:42 PM

    The Road to Wraps

    My life of babywearing began with research.  I wanted the most versatile carrier for the least amount I could get away with.  After all, our family had just increased by a third, while our income was cut in half.

    At that point, there weren't many options.  New Native had the pouch market covered, there were padded ring slings like the Nojo and Over the Shoulder Baby holder.  These were in my price range, but didn't look promising in the versatility department.  Then there was the Cadillac of versatility, the wrap.  Unfortunately, it also carried the Caddy-carrier price tag.  Who would be that insane to spend that much on a strip of cloth you had to knot yourself?

    No, the Maya Wrap was for me.  Not too expensive, yet it could be used front, back, hip, blanket, belt, tent...whatever I could think of!  All it would take is tugging at the fabric at the rings.

    I used my Maya Wrap happily for the next four years.  Occasionally I would read about other carriers.  I remember an article in Mothering about the podegi.  I made one of my own to try it out, but never got used to using it.  During my second pregnancy I decided to research other carriers.  Remembering the Mothering article, I turned there first.  From there I found that the carrier community had really blossomed.  I researched as much as I could about these 'new' carriers and found a local site that included information about Nine In, Nine Out (NINO).  I joined the mailing list and as it became more active, so did I. 

    By the time I came to my first meeting, I still mainly used my tried and true sling.  Seeing the other mothers using mei tais in a variety of beautiful fabrics made me determined to try one.  But all those straps intimidated me, so I decided to try with two straps, the onbuhimo.  Copying the shoulder toss method of putting baby on my back, I soon go over my fear of not having my daughter actually totally in the carrier before I put her on my back.  Later I tried a homemade gauze wrap, after all, it was also two "straps".  I got frustrated with all the fabric that got in the way, so I moved on to a mei tai.

    Soon though, I was lured in by the colors and the many ways of wrapping.  When I began, it was with the front wrap cross carry.  I could appreciate how secure I could make it before putting my daughter inside.  I found a good deal on a used Didymos Katja, so I was eager to go to the next wrap session with my NINO group. 

    That's when I turned a corner.  A friend taught me the hip scoot method for putting my daughter on my back.  Suddenly, wraps were opened to me.  Better yet, she also taught me the slip knot.  I could turn short wraps into slings without the rings. If I tied the knot just right, I could even adjust the rails independently.  Everything became a possible wrap then.

    I tried everything I could get my hands on, even the most obscure wraps from Germany.  I learned that not all fabrics are created equal.  There are obvious differences and subtle differences that affect the feel of a worn wrap.  Because of this, people like different wraps for different reasons.

    On my journey I've learned that no one path works for everyone.  However you get there is fine, just keep in mind that a wrap is more than a length of fabric.  It's not only a connection to your child, it's a connection to our human past.  Using a simple cloth in ingenious ways for the best of reasons, love.  What could be more beautiful than that?

     

    Bree ( foenyx )

View Complete Thread