I know the exact moment that I knew my wraps were worth their weight in gold. It wasn’t when they helped me comfort my sick child, when she smiled as I pulled the wrap out of the closet, or even when she pulled a wrap off of the couch to cuddle with. My daughter was ten months old, and we had been wrapping for several months. I loved my wraps- no, I positively adored them- but had a tiny nagging voice in the back of my mind that sometimes wondered, “Did I overdo it on an expensive baby item?”
It was mid-morning and my daughter and I were out running our daily errands. We had been to the post office and the grocery, and were stopping by the quilt shop to pick out fabric. I had Sarah in a front cross carry in my pretty wrap. She was snug as can be and clearly enjoying the ride. As we wandered about the quilt shop, Sarah seemed to be having fun looking at all the colorful fabrics, and the older ladies in the shop were having fun watching my little baby. I finally settled on a fabric for my project, and got in line to check out. When we stopped moving around, Sarah got bored, as babies often do. She ran through her usual bag of tricks: peering over my shoulder, smiling at strangers then quickly hiding her face, waving at anything remotely shaped like a puppy dog. She was still for a moment, obviously thinking. Then she reached up and placed her hands on my cheeks, and gave me a big kiss, complete with an enthusiastic “mmmmwah!” I was delighted to be the recipient of such spontaneous affection, so I smiled and thanked my baby for her kiss. And do you know what she did? She smiled at me and kissed me AGAIN! And again…and as she kept on kissing, as I blinked back a few weepy Mommy tears, I knew that I was absolutely doing the right thing by wrapping my little girl. I was so thankful to have her close enough to give me her kisses when the mood struck. What a wonderful outlet for a bored baby! And that was when I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that my wrap was worth every penny, and more. No more chasing my baby for kisses! She has the wrap love now, and she’s sharing it with me.
Becky