Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos

just curious

Last post 07-19-2005, 7:27 PM by Tambola. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-18-2005, 11:48 AM 616

    • Tambola is not online. Last active: 08-11-2005, 4:01 PM Tambola
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2005
    • Ohio...is it STILL winter?
    • Posts 112
    • Points 2,035

    just curious

    how did preschool go? I am so excited for HS preschool--but its years away!

    and also, what confirmed it for you about public school? If you dont mind me asking?

    I am going through a really challenging period with my DS who is 12, and I am considering sending him back for a while, to get a break. But I know that I shouldn't. Hearing others' reasons for disliking public school will remind me of why I don't want to do that.

    thanks!

    Tammi


    Baby boy, Travis
  •  05-23-2005, 12:36 AM 770 in reply to 616

    Re: just curious

    We're still up in the air.  Dh teaches public school and we live in a really good district.  Nate went to private preschool this year and loved it.  He's old enough for kindergarten this year but I don't think he's ready so we aren't starting him.  He won't be 5 until 2 days before the cutoff anyway.  So we have another year to decide.  I would love to hear other folks' reasons as well.  I'm just not sure.  I work outside the home 2 days a week, but we can work around that.  It may change next year as well.  Who knows.


    Tamara, blessed mama to:
    Nathaniel (5), Susannah (2.5), Abigail (14 mo), Sprout (due 4/20)and 3 in heaven: Asher, Ari, and Issac.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/pfamilygal
  •  06-22-2005, 1:43 PM 1853 in reply to 616

    Re: just curious

     Tambola wrote:
    how did preschool go? I am so excited for HS preschool--but its years away!


    I didn't HS preschool for DD1 but will for DD2.  HSing PS is more of having fun but educational things/toys etc to do.  You don't really need to plan to do it.  Just provide the experiences and go with it!

     Tambola wrote:
    and also, what confirmed it for you about public school? If you dont mind me asking?

    Lots of reasons!  I'll try not get on a soapbox!   (These are my own opinions & beliefs.)
    1) Religious - We are non-den. Christians and want our children to grow up with a strong foundation in Christ. In public schools, prayer has been taken out and they teach the religion of Evolution and not Creation.   God should be the foundation for life.  Not just something taught on Sunday at church.

    2) Academic - My DD1 is technically in 1st grade.  BUT she is really in different grades according to which subject.  In reading, she is not reading yet so she would be in K by public school standards.  In math, she's on par with 1st.  Her strong subject - science - she is doing 3rd grade level work. Writing - 1st, Bible - 1st, Art/Music - 3rd (we are learning about composers and artists which public school doesn't even teach until way later), History - 1st grade, Geography - 1st grade, Social Studies - 3rd/4th grade.  So as you can see her abilities are different according to what subject and I can taylor her lessons accordingly.

    She also is a very visual learner.  She has trouble learning by simply listening to a teacher lecture or by reading (since she can't read yet).  Again, I can tailor my teaching to a more visual method.

    We can take more time on certain subjects than others if something is catching her interest.  In public school, once the bell rings, no matter what the interest level, once class is over, the learning stops.

    I want to teach my children a broad range of ideas.  In regards to how our earth was formed.  I would tell her the different theories and why we believe in Creationism.  After all, how she support her ideas with others of opposing views unless I teach her what those opposing views are.  Public schools have a
    set agenda.

    Lastly, according to the Third International Mathematics & Science Study (TIMSS), test scores of 5,400 seniors in 210 public and private high schools were compared with seniors in other nations in four subjects: advanced math, physics, general math and general science. Among 16 countries, U.S. seniors outperformed only Austria in advanced math. In physics, U.S. seniors ranked dead last. The sad thing is at the 4th grade level, students performed competitively with other nations but declined rapidly by 8th grade. Only 10 percent of high school graduates qualify for even entry- level jobs.

    3) Social Reasons - HSing allows DD1 to socialize with people of ALL ages, not just her peer group.  In real life, she will have to learn how to function with the elderly, kids, babies, adults... everyone.  She can learn that through every day life - not cooped up 6 hours in a classroom with kids her own age under teacher controlled circumstances.  Last Nov. she went to a HS skating party with 89 other HS kids of all ages! 

    I also can be more in control of her socialization. I don't want her picking up bad words, bad habits, and the wrong attitudes/priorities from public schooled kids.  I remember when I was in public school as a kid, how we looked, who we hung out with, who was doing who, etc were more important than school work or even moral teachings from home/church.

    4) Security - Physical/Mental/Spiritual - With the rash of violence in schools, I do not want my child to come to harm.  And you may think your school is safe, but I am sure the parents at Columbine thought that, too.   Mental security is important, too.  I don't want someone teaching my children about sex and condoms, and each teacher's personal view of their own morals or values.  I don't know if my DD's teacher is an atheist, a Wiccan, or a Christian.  Their personal values, morals, and ideas/thoughts in life seep into their teaching even if they don't mean it to.  Who we are and believe as individual's affect everything that we do whether we intend it ot or not.  Lastly, I want my children to have spiritual security.  I believe there is a spiritual battleground going on that we can not see.  And our children are prime targets. Public schools are the perfect place for Satan to attack our children. 

     Tambola wrote:
    I am going through a really challenging period with my DS who is 12, and I am considering sending him back for a while, to get a break. But I know that I shouldn't. Hearing others' reasons for disliking public school will remind me of why I don't want to do that.

    I have feelings like that, too!  And DD1 is only 7 yo!!!  She gives me attitude,  doesn't want to do lessons and fights me doing them (especially writing which she hates to do!).   I think every HS family goes thorugh ups and downs.  But everytime I consider sending DD1 back to public school, I remember the affects that public school can have on her and do I want to fight even MORE attitudes and bad influences?  Do I want the public school to label my DD as special ed just because she is not reading according to their standards?  When she is smart in math, science, and geography?  She'd be held behind in those subjects because of her reading ability...  I have to sit and really think of all the negatives and I realize that although we may have problems now and then, I'd have alot worse if she was in public school. 

    When going through a challenging period, what you really need is support - whether here or through a local HS support group.  My REACH group here is great for providing encouragement and advice to deal with issues that come up. 

    I hope that helps.  Sorry for being long winded.  I can get quite animated talking about HSing!  


    Christine
    BWing, CDing, HSing, AP momma to my 2 girls:
    Mikayla (5/98) and Rachel (3/05)
  •  07-19-2005, 7:27 PM 2773 in reply to 1853

    • Tambola is not online. Last active: 08-11-2005, 4:01 PM Tambola
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2005
    • Ohio...is it STILL winter?
    • Posts 112
    • Points 2,035

    Re: just curious

    do you belong to the sonlight forums by any chance? Big Smile [:D]
    Baby boy, Travis
View as RSS news feed in XML