Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in

Need help with wrap back carry

Last post 03-28-2006, 6:03 AM by haakadoodle. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-27-2006, 10:46 AM 13870

    Need help with wrap back carry

    I attempted the wrap cross-carry on my back with my 12mo this past weekend. I had trouble keeping the fabric under his bum when I was trying. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I was getting him onto my back by sitting on the couch - I had previously placed the fabric under him - I'm still a little scared to try to "swing" him to my back. Also, when I was successful (sort of) in getting the fabric under his bum I felt like I had to lean a bit forward in the carry - perhaps I had the fabric too loose? How do I prevent his head / neck from being cut into with the fabric? I would appreciate any suggestions!

  •  03-27-2006, 4:54 PM 13877 in reply to 13870

    Re: Need help with wrap back carry

    I will try.  I do the hip scoot to get DS on my back.  When you get him there really try to spread the fabric from shoulders/armpits to the back of his knees (or as low as you can).  Maybe start by tying with a chest belt before you bring the fabric back around and over your shoulders.  Before you tie really pull on the rails and when I stand up to tie give a bounce and pull to snug it all up.

    Have you been to TBW yet?  There are some really good links with pics for figuring out wrap carries.  Also pepermint.com has some good pics. 

    And....practice, practice, practice it will get easier in time!




    Angie
    mom to Taylor (1/95) and Alex (7/05)
  •  03-28-2006, 3:45 AM 13885 in reply to 13877

    Re: Need help with wrap back carry

    Easiest if you are leaning forward when you put him onto your back, such as while sitting on your knees on the bed or on the floor.

    Spread fabric out.

    Tuck well under babys bum.

    Take it under your arms, and make a good knot. Before that though, remember that the top rails pull the babys TOP towards you - do this! That way you wont have to lean forward when walking because he isnt tight enough to your body.

    Stand up.

    Throw the fabric over the shoulder and bring it under the babys opposite leg. The fabric is probably already well spread out. If not, spread it out. Do the same with other side.

    Do a little JUMP or lean forward again when you tighten by pulling the fabric on both sides.

    Tie at your waist.




    Mamma to the two most beautiful carriable Norwegain boys in the world!
  •  03-28-2006, 6:03 AM 13886 in reply to 13885

    Re: Need help with wrap back carry

    It took me a long time to get the back wrap carries right. I started with a mei tai. It is easier to swing a mei tai around your back than a wrap. It is just so much less fabric. Once I had mastered a mei tai then I moved to wraps. I also had my dh spot me for a weekend. So I could practice with someone's hands holding my baby on. I do the swing around because it keep the fabric in place better. I swing onto my back. I pull the top rail and tuck into my knees. I then pull the bottom rail under my ds bum. I do 1 full twist of the rails, and then recheck the under the bum to make sure I didn't twist too much and pull the fabric up. I then fix my shoulders and tie it up. Practice, practice it really does take some time. I was so scared to wrap in public, but now it is so easy. You can do it!
    Beth
View as RSS news feed in XML