in

Mei Tai sleeping question

Last post 03-05-2006, 7:55 PM by haakadoodle. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-28-2006, 9:48 PM 12991

    Mei Tai sleeping question

    Hello!  I have a 3 month old and we have been happily using a Moby wrap for a while now, my son realllllly loves it (we call it his "happy place" haha)  He sleeps very comfortably in it with his head snugly tucked against me.

    I recently purchased a Freehand mei tai, wanting to get a carrier that is a little easier to put on (mostly for my husband and my aunt who watches him occasionally) and also easier to get him out of when he's asleep.  It arrived today and it seems very comfy and he does like it... it also fits the bill as far as easy to use!

    My question is though... how is he supposed to sleep in it?  He gets sleepy right away in a carrier (which has been a blessing) but without the stretchy flap for his head, once he starts drifting off his head flops back and he wakes up. 

    Do I have to wait till he can go in a back carry?  He's close to being strong enough with his head and neck but not quite there yet.  Is there any trick to helping him stay steady when asleep?  He's a big boy (25 inches at his last exam & 15 pounds) so he's tall enough that his head comes out, rather than tucking in.

    Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appriciated!!!

    Smile [:)]Heather & Rohan

    HeatherD & Baby Rohan

    www.RohanDunnigan.com

  •  03-01-2006, 12:53 AM 13007 in reply to 12991

    Re: Mei Tai sleeping question

    How are you putting his legs in position wise? Are you still tucking them in froggy style or are they out?


    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
  •  03-01-2006, 1:17 AM 13012 in reply to 12991

    Re: Mei Tai sleeping question

    Not sure if this will help much but I will paste in a few pictures of mine sleeping in our freehand mei tai:

    Another nap at the Waterpark .... happily attached to mama    Feb 2006 079B.jpg

    I guess he just lays his head on my chest and zonks out ... now I do need to supposrt his head if I'm going to bend down .... say to pick up one of the 1,000,000,000 toys in my houseWink [;)] or the dirty laundry someone left in the hallwayStick out tongue [:P].  But, I'm hopeing to try the back carries soon, too.

    Blessings~ Heather

    mama to Mikayla (9-7-95), Gus (9-17-98), Owen (2-27-02) & Zeke (9-14-05)


    Blessings~ Heather

    mama to Mikayla (9-7-95), Gus (9-17-98),
    Owen (2-27-02) & Ezekiel (9-14-05)

    married to Allen (7-17-03)
  •  03-01-2006, 4:44 PM 13037 in reply to 13012

    Re: Mei Tai sleeping question

    Hi Heather,

    This is exactly the reason that I decided to part with our Freehand. I like the FH because she can have her arms out easily, but I am usually using my mei tais when she is in need of a nap, and if she unexpectedly fell asleep in the FH, I had no way to keep her head supported. My daughter insists on flopping her head back, no matter how hard I try to gently pull her in towards my chest/back. I had to switch to MTs with a curved top for more head support. There are lots of brands out there, but the ones I've tried and liked are Kozy and Sachi. I also like the Ergo for back carries (has a sleeping hood you can pull over the baby's head after he/she is sleeping).

    I'm sure everyone else can give you more suggestions about other MTs with good head support. :)

    Jen
  •  03-04-2006, 1:37 PM 13126 in reply to 13037

    Re: Mei Tai sleeping question

    He's using the legs out position :)

    Thanks for the feedback... I've been able to snug him down "deeper" which helps a bit.  But yeah, he has yet to sleep in it.  He has a great time until he gets sleepy and then he tries to sleep and his head knonks and he gets sooooooo mad.  Poor guy!

    I'm wondering if I could create a bit of a removable head support piece... like a big stretchy cotton loop I can wrap around the shoulder straps and tuck his head in to.  Has anyone done anything like  that?  I really like the carrier, and  he totally digs it while awake, so I'm going to try and make it work if at all possible.

    Any more suggestions or thoughts would be certainly appriciated!

    HeatherD & Baby Rohan

    www.RohanDunnigan.com

  •  03-05-2006, 7:04 PM 13153 in reply to 13126

    Re: Mei Tai sleeping question

    Keep in mind he is only 3 months .... as he grows he'll be napping less and less.  So for now it might just be a carrier you don't use as much, but as he gets older and has longer stretches of alertness, he'll enjoy being able to ride around watching all that mom (or dad) is doing.

    Our Zeke is 5 months old and seems to be awake so much more than just a few months ago.

    Good luck!


    Blessings~ Heather

    mama to Mikayla (9-7-95), Gus (9-17-98),
    Owen (2-27-02) & Ezekiel (9-14-05)

    married to Allen (7-17-03)
  •  03-05-2006, 7:55 PM 13158 in reply to 13153

    Re: Mei Tai sleeping question

    Have you seen the Sutemi sleeping cloth? Check out Sutemi on Angela's site. You could make a strip of cloth and sew it on just like the sutemi. You could slide it up when he was asleep. The Sachi certainly does have more head support. Is there a Sachi you could try to just see if it makes a differece?
    Beth
View as RSS news feed in XML