Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Shop Forums Photos Blogs

Am I doing this right???

Last post 02-06-2006, 8:31 AM by gool0005. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-02-2006, 3:30 AM 11274

    Am I doing this right???

    I'm still new to this whole CDing thing.  We use CPF (premium) and covers (Bummis M, Imse Vimse 8-12kg I think).  DS is 8 months old and BF--not too much table food.  Help me out with a couple of things.

    1.  DS's bottom half looks HUGE!  And he seems to sit funny because of all that bulk.  Is this normal?

    2.  His poopy diapers ALWAYS leak out and onto the cover (but not outside the cover).  Am I doing something wrong or is this why people tend to use AIOs?

    3.  How do you change a poopy diaper, wipe a bottom clean, and put a new diaper when you have to contend with poopy diapers (that you just don't roll up and throw away), poopy wipes (I'm using disposibles now and I'm not wanting to roll them up in the CD), poopy/squirmy baby (hard to work a CPF and cover with this combo).  I feel like a new mom here!!! 

    Thoughts and advice sorely needed here!  TIA   


    Kristin
  •  02-02-2006, 2:33 PM 11305 in reply to 11274

    Re: Am I doing this right???

    I am pretty new too, but I have found that while I like the CPFs ok, they do leak into the diaper unless I fold them JUST right. What type of fold are you using? They are lots of em out there, so maybe you just need to try a different one? Bikini twist? Angel wings?
    We really use fitteds, and I make diapers too- kinda like a fitted contour. I just don't put velcro on them since they go under a cover anyways. I also have stuffable ones that i make too. ( hopefully I can sell them soon)
    I also find that the CPFs are a lot less bulky than some of my other diapers too.. so the bulk again may be the fold.
    Stephanie

    Mom to Isabella 12-12-05

    Image hosting by Photobucket
  •  02-02-2006, 2:35 PM 11306 in reply to 11305

    Re: Am I doing this right???

    http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php check this out
    Stephanie

    Mom to Isabella 12-12-05

    Image hosting by Photobucket
  •  02-02-2006, 3:26 PM 11308 in reply to 11306

    Re: Am I doing this right???

    Thanks for the links!  I think I need to get the prefold tigher and maybe try using pins?  Hmmm.  Any other suggestions?
    Kristin
  •  02-05-2006, 12:49 PM 11467 in reply to 11274

    Re: Am I doing this right???


    We fold using the newspaper fold (link wont copy and paste)  www.thediaperhyena.com and tuck the front end into the flap part on the cover (bummies).  Occasionally get a bit of poopie leak....

    Took me awhile to get used to the huge bottom also, kinda funny looking!

    When we change I put the poopie diap in the pail, put new diaper on and them DS goes in the crib while I rinse out the mess.  We use cloth wipes so all goes in same pail when done.   Might want to consider going to reusable wipes, much easier at change time.  OUrs are just cheap washcloths. 

    Angie
    mom to Taylor (1/95) and Alex (7/05)
  •  02-06-2006, 8:31 AM 11515 in reply to 11274

    • gool0005 is not online. Last active: 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM gool0005
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-20-2005
    • Goose Creek, South Carolina
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,407

    Re: Am I doing this right???

    1. Cloth diapers will make babies bottoms look huge. It's just the nature of the beast. You will also notice that a lot of pants won't fit now that youa re using cloth. It's perfectly normal.
    2. Your covers are doing their job in that they are containing the poop. That is the purpose of a diaper cover, to keep the pee and poop off the clothes. There are a million differnt ways to use a prefold. When I use prefolds, I fold the edges in so that it form a pocket to catch anything that may want to escape the diaper. I also use Snappis to keep the prefold in place.
    3. When I change diapers, I always have a clean diaper in place underneath baby before I start the change. Once I get poopy diaper opend, it is folded over and set aside. I them proceed to wipe up and them put clean diaper on. When diaper is completely changed, I go to the bathroom to wipe the poop off the diaper and into the toilet (I use toilet paper for this job). I then toss the dirty diaper along with the wipes, be they disposable wipes or cloth wipes, into the diaper pail.

    If you have a really squirmy baby, get as much done ahead of time as possible so that it is quick and easy. I really recommend gettign a Snappi fastener because then at least you can get the cloth to stay in place while you wrestle to get the cover on.

    Kelly

View as RSS news feed in XML