Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Shop Forums Photos Blogs

This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

Last post 02-23-2006, 8:29 PM by cvcraven. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-27-2006, 8:49 AM 10728

    This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    and it might just be an end to my (free!) babysitting by my parents.  Maybe they were just in a mood last night but my dad seemed pretty upset about everything.  Quinn would NOT take a bottle.  I actually started him on cereal earlier than I had planned just so they could give him SOMETHING while I was gone at work.  I only work one night a week (5-ish hours) so its not like I'm asking him to do this every day...just one day...one maybe two bottles (if he wanted).  We've tried 5 different kinds of bottles and I thought we found one that woudl work and he still wont take it.  Right now the only one hes even KINDA taken is the playtex drop in kind.

    Should I try him on a sippy cup?  Mainly I feel bad for my parents...but I also feel like I can't leave him to go out for an evening with my husband which I KNOW I had done a lot with Jackson at this age.  I know that by 5 months we were going out a minimum of 1x a month for dinner and/or a movie.  The only place I've been without Quinn so far is work and maybe the grocery store/post office.

     


    Jess
    Mom to Jack & Quinn

    Indy Babywearers--contact me for more info!
  •  01-27-2006, 9:14 AM 10731 in reply to 10728

    Re: This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    Definitely try a sippy cup.  Some BF mamas never give a bottle; they just go straight to sippys to avoid nipple confusion.

    Avent makes a great one with a soft tip that is great for younger babies.  Also, check out kellymom.com (if you haven't already) for tips on intoducing it.

    Good luck to you, Jess!


    Crystal, mama to Nicholas 04/05
  •  01-27-2006, 3:02 PM 10745 in reply to 10728

    Re: This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    Oh, HUGS! This is so frustrating! My ds took a bottle from the start with no problem. I was lucky! When my dd came along she refused to take a bottle, so I was like, "What the heck?" Anyway, my only advice is to keep trying. She eventually took it. She's now 10 months and takes it like a pro. You might try some different types of nipples too. For awhile she would only take the Playtex square shaped latex nipples and now she will only take the Playtex round silicone ones. Go figure! Ugh! Good luck!
    Blythe
    Mom to Luke & Karli
  •  01-27-2006, 11:28 PM 10803 in reply to 10728

    Re: This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm gonna get a couple other types of nipples and hit up wally world for some of those wierd little nuby sippy cups.
    Jess
    Mom to Jack & Quinn

    Indy Babywearers--contact me for more info!
  •  01-30-2006, 2:08 AM 10988 in reply to 10803

    Re: This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    My 2nd would never take a bottle either and we tried a bunch. She did finally use the Avent cups with the rubber sippy part. I guess it's a lot of trial and error for each kid which is hard-hang in there :)

    Was the baby really upset or just your parents at thinking he "should" eat?

    good luck!

    Ann


    Ann, Full-time mama of 2 crazy kids and a sling'n toddler
  •  01-30-2006, 10:05 AM 11007 in reply to 10803

    Re: This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    Mom2Jack+one wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm gonna get a couple other types of nipples and hit up wally world for some of those wierd little nuby sippy cups.


    FWIW: Walmart doesn't sell Avent.  If you're looking for them Target and ToysRUs carry 'em.

    They do have soft nozzle sippys, though.  Don't remember the brand right offhand.

    HTH

    Crystal, mama to Nicholas 04/05
  •  02-02-2006, 10:33 AM 11291 in reply to 11007

    Re: This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    Nevermind, I'm with you now (where's the head-smacking smiley when you need him?)

    We saw Nuby (that's the brand, huh?) cups at WM last night and grabbed one.  DS seems to like it even better than Avent and the other kind we have (Gerber maybe?)

    Anyway, have you had any luck yet, Jess?


    Crystal, mama to Nicholas 04/05
  •  02-23-2006, 8:29 PM 12748 in reply to 10728

    Re: This child WILL.NOT.TAKE.A.BOTTLE.

    OK, Coming into this post late but if you haven't resolved this issue..try the MAM ultivent bottles. They are completely different than anything you've seen before.The nipples have 2 flat sides that have a soft "skin" like feel. DS#2 absolutely refused all bottles. My first day back at work i was gone 11 hours. During that time my stepmom managed to get him to take 2 ounces of EBM. Needless to say I was going crazy! You can't buy them in the stores but I found them online at baby-wise.com.

    Also, they are distributed through the brand name sassy and for awhile they were giving away free bottles to get people to buy them..

    I can't recommend them enough for breastfed baby....

     

    Hope this helps!

     

View as RSS news feed in XML