Home Shop Forums Gallery Blogs Files

Any good rec.

Last post 01-16-2006, 12:15 AM by bugmama. 13 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  01-10-2006, 11:01 PM

    Any good rec.

    For finger foods(not sure if this is the right folder or not!!) ds is 7mo, no teeth but seems to want to feed himself...anything I should be looking for at the store that would be good(and that he won't choke on!)
    ~Katie
    SAHM to the best anniversary present ever!
  •  01-10-2006, 11:43 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    DD (8mo) has been trying out the Gerber banana "puffs".  They melt in your mouth pretty fast even if you don't chew, and don't have any ingredients I hadn't tried her on yet (e.g. cow milk).  Cheerios dissolve in the mouth too but take longer so these puff things are kind of like cheerios with training wheels in my mind.  She does fine with "chewing" them to death when I put 'em in her mouth, but doesn't often manage to get one in there on her own yet but does enjoy the practice.  ;)
  •  01-11-2006, 5:24 AM

    Re: Any good rec.

    DS used to eat the puffs too. He also ate these little cereal squares (maybe made by gerber--not sure). DS is 5 yrs old so some things they had on the market then, they don't now, but I know they still sell these because I bought some for my neighbor's DS a few months ago (LOL). I think the new ones are banana flavored. They also dissolved almost instantly. I used to break the tiny squares into four even smaller pieces. He LOVED them (and DH used to steal some from him too, so they must have tasted good!).
    Mari

    Proud mama to Liam and Chloe
  •  01-11-2006, 8:05 AM

    Re: Any good rec.

    I liked the fresh friut for baby's first foods. A banana cut up into small pieces so a baby can just mash them between their gums. Ripe pears is also a great one to start with. They are so mushy that it would be really hard to choke on KWIM.
    Puffed rice is another good one. It is a whole grain, and melts in baby's mouth. Plus it is so cheap and a bag last forever.
    Beth
  •  01-11-2006, 8:44 AM

    Re: Any good rec.

    DUH! I had totally forgotten about fruit! DS also LOVED ripe bananas chopped small. Beth's suggestions shame me cuz they are soooo much healthier than mine....Embarrassed [:$]

    I totally agree with the fruit suggestion!


    Mari

    Proud mama to Liam and Chloe
  •  01-11-2006, 12:01 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    No shame here. You had good suggestions. Another favorite with my boys was and still is sweet potatoes. I would mash them up and my guys loved them. Haakon and Anders still love them and can eat a whole sweet potatoe at one sitting.
    Beth
  •  01-11-2006, 12:02 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    Sorry I forgot another one. Avacados, my kids did not like them, but they are a perfect first food. Soft, mushy, and great nutrition.
  •  01-11-2006, 1:24 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    Well we went with the gerber puffs...so far he has no idea what to do with them, but when I put them in his mouth he seems to like them...I will try the mashed up stuff when I am in the mood for a BIG mess!!!Big Smile [:D]
    ~Katie
    SAHM to the best anniversary present ever!
  •  01-11-2006, 2:40 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    Finger foods are a lot of fun (and I am totally not being sarcastic). I loved that stage with DS. It's so cute to watch them learn to eat them (LOL).
    Mari

    Proud mama to Liam and Chloe
  •  01-11-2006, 3:02 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    (ooh, new look in the forums!)

    Oh yes, real fruit!.. I've been trying DD on smashed banana with little lumps in it and she makes the most amazing "oh my COW what is this" face.  help, mommy, it has texture!  I love this age. Smile [:)]
  •  01-14-2006, 3:44 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    My 10-month old likes cheerios, banana, gerber puffs, and honestly just about whatever we're eating.

    She's had rice, potatoes, etc... I also gave her frozen peas yesterday that she loved.
    SAHM mom to 2 beautiful girls
  •  01-14-2006, 5:11 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    Brady is 20 months and still LOVES those Gerber fruit and veggie puffs!  He is also a big fan of the Gerber mini fruits.  My sister once let him eat the whole bag because "he kept asking for more."  He loves the Pirates Booty discussed in this thread too https://www.attachedtobaby.com/forums/thread/2317.aspx

    Have fun trying it all!  Babies seem to go in stages with what they like and don't like. 


    Angie

    Mom to little monkey Brady (4/04)
  •  01-14-2006, 7:57 PM

    Re: Any good rec.

    My all time favorite finger food for babies is sticks of rye bread with different toppings - or simply just butter. Open face sandwiches are what people eat for lunch in Denmark, so you just cut a corner of your sandwich and give it to the baby!! It is VERY nutritious and the dark rue bread has the right consistency to allow the baby to hold it without crumbling. My babies LOVED it!

    Poliana
    SAHM to 4 wonderful kidos
  •  01-16-2006, 12:15 AM

    Re: Any good rec.

    My poor little one is allergic to a ton of stuff, including bananas, dairy and wheat, so I give her little pieces of tofu as finger foods. Not real tasty, but she seems to like them and they are pretty healthy. I do other fruits, too. She especially likes grapes (I peel the skin off them before I give them to her).
View as RSS news feed in XML