in

moby good for 6 month old?

Last post 08-09-2006, 9:11 AM by haakadoodle. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-09-2006, 8:36 AM 18074

    moby good for 6 month old?

    Hi, I'm new here and exploring options.  When my son was really little I carried him in a NoJo sling I got from a friend who was passing along her baby stuff. That worked great, but now he's too long to stretch out in that and it doesn't seem to cinch up tight enough for me to balance him on my hip.  He keeps slipping off.  We use a Snugli for taking him on walks with the puppy, but that is not ideal and I'd rather have him on my hip when I'm carrying him around at home - easier on my back.  I also looked into a hiphugger, but they are pretty pricey and not as versatile.

    So... is a Moby appropriate for older children, or just newborns?  Are there resources for the other ways to tie it?  The website I looked at seemed to only give instrustions for front-wearing.

    Thanks!

     

  •  08-09-2006, 9:11 AM 18075 in reply to 18074

    Re: moby good for 6 month old?

    Age isn't the restiction, but weight is. IMO I think a moby is best for 17lbs and less. They are rated up to 30 lbs but will stretch out after 17lbs and you will have to retie it or readjust it. A gypsy mama balibaby stretch is less stretchy and would work for a heavier child. It is also less expensive than a woven wrap.

    www.thebabywearer.com has a lot of information about front facing. Moby has picture of that position. Without giving a lot of details, your son will be hanging by his cratch. You could cut off circulation to his testicles. Your son could also become over stimulated and have no way to turn away. There are some great alternative to front facing. The hip carry is my favorite. They can look out, but also turn their face in when desired. You can also insure proper hip placement with a hip or high back carry. If you child really wants to face out. A ring sling or pouch would allow you to have your child legs in without putting pressure on their cratch.
    Beth
View as RSS news feed in XML