Attached to Baby Community Home
Welcome to Attached to Baby Sign in | Join
in
Home Shop Forums Photos Blogs

bf = weightloss?

Last post 02-14-2006, 4:23 AM by Jayna's mama. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-19-2006, 11:55 AM 9841

    bf = weightloss?

    Wyatt is almost 11 months old now and still gets about 80-90% of his calories from bm. Well, with all this bfing, I have lost all 50lbs of my pg gain, PLUS an extra 15 lbs.  I know that bfing isn't the only factor. There's also the carrying, bouncing, chasing of Wyatt, not to mention having less time to munch on random stuff. But I haven't done any official exercise and I still eat whatever I want (including a decent amount of fats and sugars). So, I figure that bfing is a BIG factor, since the only other explanation would be that pregnancy somehow tricked my body into reversing to my teen-early 20s metabolism.... that would be great, but HIGHLY unlikely.

    So, my question/worry is, when I stop bfing, is all that weight going to pile right back on? I plan on gradually starting to wean when he hits about a year, and am estimating that I'll be done bfing within a few months after that.

    Anyone have any similar stories to share? Or advice on how to keep it off? (Realistic advice for someone with a high maintenance babe... I can barely find time to clean, or cook a semi-healthy meal anymore, and I'm going to have to start working part-time now too Cry)

    Thanks in advance!
  •  01-19-2006, 2:03 PM 9858 in reply to 9841

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    Well, I've lost all but 5 pounds of a 65 lb. pregnancy weight gain just by breastfeeding.  I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't.  Maybe someone will chime in.

    Also, no advice on finding time to get things done.  I work full time, so I feel your pain. Wearing them does help quite a bit!Big Smile [:D]


    Crystal, mama to Nicholas 04/05
  •  01-19-2006, 2:36 PM 9859 in reply to 9841

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    So, my question/worry is, when I stop bfing, is all that weight going to pile right back on?

    I got pg with #2 as soon as I weaned #1 so I don't really know.. I mean weight came back on but turned into DD in a pretty reasonable manner.  But a friend IRL who had 3 kids worth of back-to-back pregnancy/nursing/nursing-while-pg advised me from (bad) experience that it is important to stop "eating constantly like you don't know where the next meal is coming from" when you run out of nurselings... after eating for two or three for several years, normal-sized portion control takes some thought.
  •  01-22-2006, 5:40 PM 10150 in reply to 9841

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    I have been breastfeeding DD for 17 months now and I weigh less then I have in years. I eat whatever I want, though I do eat quite healthy. I'm also conerned about gaining the weight back plus some. I'm starting to watch what what I eat now. I'm also thinking about getting into some type of exercise routine.

    This weight loss has been too good to be true. I'm trying to enjoy it while I can though!

  •  01-22-2006, 8:28 PM 10177 in reply to 9841

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    I am about 10 pounds less now than when I got pregnant with DS.  (40 pound total weight loss)  I also eat whatever I want...way too many cookies and brownies, though!  I had the same experience with DD#1 (not so much with DD#2...but my thyroid whacked out after her and I had to go on meds to regulate...so I figure that one didn't count as a normal experience!)

     

    I also worry as DS at 11 mos is taking some solids and nursing a little less frequently now.  I am also staring 40 in the face so I know my metabolism is getting ready to put on the breaks for me anyway.  I guess I will just need to cut out some sweets and start doing some exercise (besides running after the 3 kids!)

     

    Great bonus for the BF mom, huh!

  •  01-23-2006, 10:52 AM 10251 in reply to 10177

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    I don't have any advise, but I do want to say congrats!  I hope I lose as much while I'm breastfeeding too!
  •  01-25-2006, 11:29 PM 10627 in reply to 10251

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    WOW! That's awesome that you've all lost with bf!  I'm hoping to have similar luck!  I'm 5lbs lighter than when I got pregnant, but I only gained 10lbs, so that's really not saying much. Of course if I lost 10lbs every 3 months, in a year that would be pretty awesome!

    Cat

  •  01-26-2006, 7:01 AM 10634 in reply to 10627

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    Grrr.... I cannot relate.  I get heavier with each baby.  And I have one of those bodies that holds on to weight while BF'ing.  I wish I had this chasing kids diet thing but I have 3 children under 5 yrs and still find plenty of time to eat, apparently. 

    I always drop 10 lbs immediately right after I wean.  Anyway so count yourself very lucky, I find it very hard to lose weight while nursing.


    Meg

    Shop At Home Mom to
    Nicholas (10/12/00)
    Lexi (5/3/02)
    my sweet baby Luke (8/1/05)
  •  02-14-2006, 2:44 AM 12153 in reply to 10634

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    I'm with meg.  Never really lost anything while bfing.  i am on weight watchers now and down 10 pounds.  Hoping to loose a hundred, but need 60 more to get to prepreg weight (grr beddrest)
    SAHM to Max and Zachary

    Weight Loss: 10 /21 pounds (first 10 %)
    Total of goal: 10/100-only 90 to go :D
  •  02-14-2006, 4:23 AM 12170 in reply to 10177

    Re: bf = weightloss?

    I weigh a little less then when I first got pregnant. I gained 41 lbs with this pg, and was hoping to keep at least 10. I felt like bfing really helped get the pg weight off in the first few months.
    I'm not sure about how that works after the pregnancy weight is gone. I have been finding when dd is nursing a ton at a growth spurt, i need to up my calories so I don't drop more weight.
    But I also know that isn't that normal. Many people are okay with losing a few pounds here and there, where as I need the extra pounds.
    JoLynda

    Mama to Jayna 7.10.05
View as RSS news feed in XML